Studiomaster 16 x 4 Console

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I have purchased a Studiomaster 16 x 4 console on ebay and it is on the way in the courier as we speak.

I selected this board because I heard it has great EQs, solid Pre's and it is easy to service and mod.

I do have some soldering skills so with the right help I could handle the duties myself. Here is a pic of the specific console I purchased. The ebay seller says it is in full working order....however you never know.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have signed up to this forum in order to:

1. see if anyone on here owns a studio master 16x4 and has had to repair or mod it
2. connect with someone who I could consult with. I will be testing out the board when it arrives, and deciding what works and what needs to be cleaned, replaced, etc.

Let me know if you have experience with this....Thanks!

Ah, the good old noisegenerator. Full with these nice 741 opamps. Worked with them and repaired them.

Regards Gerhard

see....theres a start already. 741 opamps. I read that replacing the opamps with some burr browns will really improve the noise situation. found a site with burr browns as low as $5 a piece. I'm thinking of starting with one channel and socketing the opamps.....then putting in new ones and seeing what I get.

Success!

Hi Gerhard,

I must say, your post kind of scared me but now that I've received the board and tested it out. (and sprayed the hell out of it with contact cleaner)....I'm actually quite pleased. It does have the 741's but I don't find it to be overly noisy. It also works like a dream now that it is cleaned. Well, other than subgroup 2 cutting out a bit. Theres a loose connection inside somewhere because when I tap on the top of the board right by the fader for the subgroup, it kicks back in.

I think I'll try removing one channel and using it as a guinea pig for replacing op amps, etc.

Will it be ok if I message you if I ever need advice? I'm not thinking it will be often, but I might try to mod it by adding in a 1/4 inch input on one channel for example.

I still appreciate the advice. I'll be super careful when soldering.

gerhard, I appreciate the quick reply. First off, I'm not doing anything right away. I'll be spending some time first just using the board as is to get used to its characteristics. during that time I'll be researching all the different upgrades that are possible....pots, opamps, caps, etc.

It would be great if rather than just saying the ne5532 is no good......rather suggesting which ARE pin compatible, if you know this information. I'm looking to reduce the noise as much as possible while keeping "character" to the sound. I'm not looking for clean, if that was what I wanted I would just go straight into the computer.

I just read this morning that TL-072 is a common upgrade.

The NE5532 is a dual opamp like the TL072, the 741 is single like the TL071.

Another problem with this board is the use of Tantalum C's as dc blocking devices. They tend to shorten if they malfunction! And Oh Boy they did! In the end I made 1 working board out of 2 and sold them as quickly as we could!

Regards Gerhard

The NE5532 is a dual opamp like the TL072, the 741 is single like the TL071.

Another problem with this board is the use of Tantalum C's as dc blocking devices. They tend to shorten if they malfunction! And Oh Boy they did! In the end I made 1 working board out of 2 and sold them as quickly as we could!

Regards Gerhard

Are you suggesting that I replace these caps then? (I gather from your posts you would rather I ditch the board) but that isn't going to happen. I'm only using it for channels in the studio. I'll be using the mic ins to direct out paths only, so if the issue you describe is primarily on the main outs, then I'm not too concerned.

Beste Gerhard,

Ik heb hier ook nog een studiomaster open en bloot liggen. Gekregen van een vriend die 'm heeft gegeven voor mijn achterneefje van 10. Helaas was de tafel geheel gemodificeerd en ben deze nu aan het terugbouwen met de aansluitingen weer netjes op de achterkant. Zijn er ergens schema's van de tafel te krijgen? Zoek me namelijk helemaal rot :)

Groet,

Menno

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Beste Gerhard,

Ik heb hier ook nog een studiomaster open en bloot liggen. Gekregen van een vriend die 'm heeft gegeven voor mijn achterneefje van 10. Helaas was de tafel geheel gemodificeerd en ben deze nu aan het terugbouwen met de aansluitingen weer netjes op de achterkant. Zijn er ergens schema's van de tafel te krijgen? Zoek me namelijk helemaal rot :)

Groet,

Menno

:cop:

English please
Best translation...
I have also added a studio master open and exposed. Received from a friend who has given it for my achterneefje of 10. Unfortunately, the table is fully modified and am now again this unit with the connectors neatly on the back. There are diagrams of the table somewhere? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.