XLR switcher

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The linked diagram is what you want - almost. You'll need one for each channel.
Count the L&R in the diagram as XLR pins 2&3. Pin 1 is ground and does not need to be switched.

The XLR has two signal wires so you need a 2 pole switch.

The linked diagram is what you want - almost. You'll need one for each channel.
Count the L&R in the diagram as XLR pins 2&3. Pin 1 is ground and does not need to be switched.

The XLR has two signal wires so you need a 2 pole switch.

Thank You. This is a response to that diagram:

"That is certainly the cheap and cr$p way to do it as you need to 'terminate' the speakers that are supposed to be 'off'. A simple cheat would be to put say 620 Ohm resistors across all 4 of the output XLRs. The reason is that unterminated you are liable to pick up hum and interference. The proper way would be with an 8 pole switch (unless you can figure out a cunning way of using fewer poles) to make the switchover and terminate"

The termination isn't a bad idea, but may not be needed. I would not use 620 ohms, tho.
How will this be used?

I have no idea... that was the last post on that subject, and it was from 2004. heh.
From the Gearslutz forum.

I hate to spend the money on an XLR switcher, they seem unnecessarily expensive. the cheapest one that will suit my needs is close to $200!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yep, relays would work. But you'll need a power supply to run them. A surplus or used wall wart could do the trick.

Or use a rotary switch. You'll need 4 poles and 2 positions. You can also get that in a toggle switch, look for part # 7401P3YZQI22 at Mouser.com
A402S1RNCBE for a 4 pole rotary switch.

Be sure you add up all costs. Switch, knob, chassis XLR connectors, chassis, screws, wire, relays if you use them. See if you come out much cheaper that what you can buy.

Yep, relays would work. But you'll need a power supply to run them. A surplus or used wall wart could do the trick.

Or use a rotary switch. You'll need 4 poles and 2 positions. You can also get that in a toggle switch, look for part # 7401P3YZQI22 at Mouser.com
A402S1RNCBE for a 4 pole rotary switch.

Be sure you add up all costs. Switch, knob, chassis XLR connectors, chassis, screws, wire, relays if you use them. See if you come out much cheaper that what you can buy.

Well, I did some quick research but I wouldn't feel comfortable building one with relays and stuff, I'm not really that savvy. I'm looking at used stuff now. It seems I can get what I need cheaper that way and feel confident that it's made correctly.
Thanks for the responses!

I did have a RCA to XLR converter from them (and vice versa), it actually sounded great. However, one ground came loose and the thing went south. Now one channel controls both and the right side is dead, it was $43 bucks (sale price).
Now using a Samson, which has a nice layout, using it a mini preamp (one volume knob).

Attachments

• DSC02181.JPG
    DSC02181.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 87
I did have a RCA to XLR converter from them (and vice versa), it actually sounded great. However, one ground came loose and the thing went south. Now one channel controls both and the right side is dead, it was $43 bucks (sale price).
Now using a Samson, which has a nice layout, using it a mini preamp (one volume knob).

No offense but I cant do Samson, Behringer, or other cheap stuff... dosen't look good in my rack :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.