Phase extraction!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm wondering if I can extract certain phase of audio with a circuit of some kind? For example, what if I want to extract 40 to 50 degrees right of center and only hear that section of the stereo field. I know my surround sound system some how separates out the front three speakers into different phase sections and the same in the back ( I understand the back "phase cancellation) but I wonder how they do it in the front? A circuit would be greatly appreciated!?!?!?!?

Hi,

Simply I don't understand the question or the purpose, as all phase is relative.

In 2 channel encoding delays and adding or subtracting the L+R with or without
delays are used to derive separate channels, the reverse to encode them.

90 degree shifts are used, that reinforce or cancel on addition or subtraction.

I have no idea what you mean by 45 degree signals, AFAIK they don't exist.

rgds, sreten.

If you connect the L and R signals to the X and Y input of an oscilloscope, then you get a Lissajous pattern. If the phase between L and R is 0, then it is a right slanted degrees straight line. At 180 degree it is a left slanted straight line. At 90 degrees it is a circle. You can shift L by 90 degrees to R, then the originally 90 degrees difference will give a straight line. Then you can do some substraction between the phase shifted L, R, and the original L, R, and you get what you want. It can be done with other phase shift, as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.