Is the blue velvet Alps still best price/performance pot?

I am in search for 10k log pot with best price / perfomance ratio. So far I found Alps RK27 "the blue" for 17 EUR, TKD CP2 -601 for 35 EUR and Noble for 45 EUR.

It seems that in this price category, Alps rates very high for what you get for money or I am wrong?:confused:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I share that subjective opinion. The TKD are well built, quiet and seem to sound good, if that can be said of a pot. But they ought to, for the price!

Mostly I stick with the Noble as they are great value for money here in the USA.

Ebay is Full of Alps Blue Velvet Pots :) Ranging from $9 to $17
IMO and experience these are usually Cheap *** Copy/fakes.
Want a Better Potentiometer.. Seriously?? Buy a Goldpoint Stepped attenuator... preferably a genuine one though.
A whole world 'better' performing than a Genuine Alps IF you could be so fortunate as to actually find one :).
Few ..ever.. go backwards from a stepped att.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure I want a Dutch Lesbian biker in my system though lol.

The Goldpoint stepped does seem the way forward, but why not remote controllable ? I'm endlessly getting up to alter the volume even though in J.River I have them scanned to be equal...

Ok I'm bitten by the stepped bug now :)

Has anyone tried these ? Way way cheaper than the Goldpoints:

VALAB 23 Step Attenuator Potentiometer 20K Stereo Log | eBay

Those are nice but they are a series attenuator. The signal goes through all 23 sm resistors and you 'tap' between them for volume.

You want a ladder attenuator! The circuit is built of 23 pairs of resistors and you select the pair you want for volume. The signal only goes through 2 resistors.

valab ladder atten.JPG

Valab 23 Step Ladder Type Attenuator Potentiometer 50K Log Stereo | eBay

I'd say that right there could give the Blue Alps a run for best-bang-for-buck!

See if they'll build it in at least 20k or preferably 10k. See if they'll build it with vishay res.

Cheers,
Jeff

PS Sorry you already ordered ...

Last edited:
Those are nice but they are a series attenuator. The signal goes through all 23 sm resistors and you 'tap' between them for volume.

You want a ladder attenuator! The circuit is built of 23 pairs of resistors and you select the pair you want for volume. The signal only goes through 2 resistors.

View attachment 328283

Valab 23 Step Ladder Type Attenuator Potentiometer 50K Log Stereo | eBay

I'd say that right there could give the Blue Alps a run for best-bang-for-buck!

See if they'll build it in at least 20k or preferably 10k. See if they'll build it with vishay res.

Cheers,
Jeff

PS Sorry you already ordered ...

Ok thanks Jeff for the info on that and luckily not dispatched yet :) I have dropped them a line to see if they can make me a 20k Vishay (20k is the value on the amp's schematic)

BTW the description they give to the one I ordered seems to be better lol

Thanks

Marcus

Ebay is Full of Alps Blue Velvet Pots :) Ranging from $9 to $17
IMO and experience these are usually Cheap *** Copy/fakes.
Want a Better Potentiometer.. Seriously?? Buy a Goldpoint Stepped attenuator... preferably a genuine one though.
A whole world 'better' performing than a Genuine Alps IF you could be so fortunate as to actually find one :).
Few ..ever.. go backwards from a stepped att.

Totally agree.Bought the Goldpoint recently and it's miles better than any pot I've tried.And my previous Vishay resistor attenuator.

I have always been very pleased with ALPS and they would still be my first choice.

Never had a problem with them so never felt the need to change.
Sometimes even on this model (RK27112) there are crackling effects while rotates.
Best solution is to open the attenuator for cleaning.
For the starlock retaining washer (in use for saving the shaft) a removing tool is necessary.
From where I can order such a tool ?
go to post # 123 and 125 under
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...iles-tkd-vishay-whats-fav-13.html#post5296374

Thank you for advices.

ALPS 100KAX2 100K Ohm Audio Taper Stereo Potentiometer 6mm Shaft

I used this Alps in my latest preamp. Been using it daily for almost a year. You can read my review in the link. :)

Precision is way better than the $2 volume controls. Tracking is way better too. Zero audible effect on circuit; no scratchiness or imbalance at all. I will use again.

Some of those stepped attenuators look real nice. Nice prices too.