(minimal) speaker level vs. line level high pass filter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2011, 05:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default (minimal) speaker level vs. line level high pass filter

Hi,

I'd like your input please regarding one method vs. the other. Currently using multiple amps on my full horn system with a simple 6db/oct high pass on the tweeter (single 5.6 mfd Dayton cap) at the speaker level.

I'm able to move the high pass filter to the line level because I'm multi-amping.

What would I gain and loose? Obviously, the goal is to upgrade the current Dayton cap to see if I can get better sounding high pass filter but the nice paper oil copper caps are pricey so I am thinking about a fundamental change here.

Than you,
Herman
Old 15th October 2011, 09:43 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

There are many who recommend retaining the speaker feeding capacitor for protection of the voice coil from damage.

You can combine, or not, the natural roll-off of the tweeter, with the roll-off of the protection cap, with the active roll-off of the preceding filter to obtain 18dB or 24dB/octave slope to any of the Q values that you find would suit the driver.

Alternatively move the active filter frequency up so that the natural roll-off is well below passband. Move the protection cap roll-off to well below passband by making it bigger. Bigger than required reduces the voltage across it and thus reduces the distortion. Adopting a cheap large polypropylene film and foil of 4u7F to 10uF, would probably do.
This results in the active filter controlling the rate of roll-off and the Q of the roll-off.
Finally adopt just sufficient EQ to get the driver sounding nice.

Last edited by AndrewT; 15th October 2011 at 09:49 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!