Need help troubleshooting PreAmp build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having trouble with a v1.0 MadAboutSound Wallin preamp board I bought from the swap meet forum. I ordered all the parts from DigiKey, stuffed the board and soldered them in. This is only the 2nd pcb project I've built.

When I turn it on, the LED lights briefly, as it's supposed to. But I don't get any output to my sound card. I've tested the mic directly into the sound card, and they both work. The problem is definitely between the input on the card and the output.

Can some one give me suggestions for troubleshooting? What do I measure?

Attachments

• PreAmp1.jpg
    PreAmp1.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 85
  • PreAmp2.jpg
    PreAmp2.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 74
  • PreAmpSchematic.png
    PreAmpSchematic.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I figured it out! I'm using 3.5mm STEREO jacks. I was using a MONO plug for the mic input, but a stereo plug for the output to the card. The jack out was wired to the LEFT output, the card was looking on the RIGHT input.

Shorting the left/right connectors on the jacks makes it work. I can't wait to test something!

D'oh!
Next to a multimeter (and less $ than a decent o'scope), a good tool to have in your diy audio kit is a signal generator and a signal tracer. OK, that's really 2 tools. But both can be put together for cheap, for instance a 555 oscillator for a signal source and a LM386 amp for a tracer. I built my set using a LM3909 and a little, old active speaker unit with a 2" driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.