voltage levels for line outs??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but i'd just ask anyway. Does anyone know what the standard or typical voltage range is from audio player outputs (i.e. the voltage range out of the 3.5mm output for Ipods, CD players, Hi Fi's, car headunits, etc.) Is there a standard or does it just vary from device to device and manufacturer to manufacturer?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks guys...

The great thing about standards is that there's so many of them. :)
I can't take credit for that, but it has truth here. Car headunits may output 7 volts or more. Ipods more like 1 or 2 volts. Home equipment in between. Which is to say there are probably general ballpark numbers used (a lot to do with power supply and application) but no standard that is followed AFAIK. The broadcast and proaudio folks may dissent.

Last edited:
Line outputs can be as low as 100mVac to 300mVac from some equipment.

I didn't know that car headunits could go as high as 7Vac, That's ~20Vpp. How do they get that from a 12Vdc/13.8Vdc single ended supply?

Probably by using a charge pump.

What I am using right now at work is 2Vrms as output for line level and headphones. The only difference is a unity gain op-amp to provide the current to drive the headphone.

We supply big TV manufacturers with our SoC's so I guess 2Vrms can be seen on TV's, set-top boxes and so on..

Just my 2C!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.