5-pin din input connector convert to rca

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently got an old Teleton SAQ-230 which I would like to use as an vintage headphone amplifier.
Problem is it only has the old 5-pin DIN connectors and I´ve read that just using simple rca to din cables is not a good option.
Here is the article but I have trouble understanding it, should I add a 1.8M resistor before the input and keep the resistors´s that is already in series on the connector?
Guess I need a diagram :ashamed:

Interfacing DIN Hifi Equipment to RCA/phono based HiFi Equipment
Coupling the output of a DIN standard piece of gear to a modern line input of 47 kilohms impedance should give a signal level of about 50mV, about a tenth of the normal signal level. This can normally be dealt with by simply turning the volume up.

Going the other way, however, usually results in distortion and overload - presenting a line level DIN input of 100k impedance with a 0.775Vrms signal is much more than it expects, and presenting it with a CD player input is 20 times more. The answer is to use a 10x (20dB) inline audio attenuator, or wire a 22k series resistor to the source and 2k2 shunt resistor at the DIN end of the cable. This keeps impedances low enough to avoid the HF losses and signals low enough not to overload the vintage gear.

An alternative purist approach to the DIN spec would be to simply insert a series resistance of 680k for a regular line output and a 1.8M resistor in series with the CD output, but cable capacitance should be kept below 80pF if a dedicated 100k DIN line input is used.

I would like to add rca inputs on the Teleton.

all depends on what you are plugging into the Teleton and its sensitivity. certainly for a CD input you need an attenuator, I use 10Kin line and 1K to ground to put a CD input into a 70's hifi din input but do not need attenuation on my tape/radio inputs and phono input is fine anyway.

Try it first before adding phono sockets to the AMP - RCA's anyway are not as good as din IMHO I just hate the live make before the ground connects on RCA's... and apparently the contact area is bigger on a din!

Tried a rca to din cable and via variable output from cd it´s not so bad, but the right channel seems close to dead :mad:
I kind of like the sound in this amp, certainly better than a sansui au-555a I´m working on.
With full output from cd it´s distorted and way too loud from Teleton as expected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.