Bypassing a receiver's internal amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2011, 11:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bypassing a receiver's internal amp

Hi all,

First I have to say that I am a total newbie when it comes to hardware modifications, so past forums are of little help for me as I don't understand them . But I amwilling to learn

Therefore my question will be simple:

I own an old Kenwood KRF-V4550 5.1 receiver. Can I internally connect the two front channels coming from the dsp to the "rec out" RCA outs featured on the receiver?

This would turn the "rec out" connectors into a "pre-out" sending out the two decoded front channels to an external stereo amp (which it can't do at the moment, the "rec outs"--as there are several, one set of rca outs for each analog input-- do not output signals coming from the receiver's digital inputs). The remaining channels would still be amplified by the receiver.

Is there a simple tweak around it?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 28th September 2011, 03:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

In a two-channel amplifier, it would be simple. Not so simple for a 5.1 amplifier.
If you can identify the L and R front channel amplifiers, you may be able to pick up the audio at the input to those amplifiers.
You may be able to identify the L and R front channel amplifiers by tracing the front channel L and R speaker lines inside the amplifier.
Finding the input of the amplifiers is another matter. A partial schematic which shows the L and R front channel amplifiers would be helpful.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi all!

As they say, sometimes you go very far to find something, only to find out it was with you all along. No need to tweak or modify the receiver: I just found out the jack (headphone) out sends the decoded two front channels in analog....ahhhh the shame. Sorry guys!

Hide this!Advertise here!