Extremely Frustrated!!! Why won't my amp get loud!?!?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes 2 is hot 1&3 is ground (see link). You may encounter hum, but I’ve done this many a time, typical CD to “commercial amp” and works okay. I had better sound with a balanced to unbalanced converter.

How to wire an XLR

This means you have to add a jumper from pin 1 to pin 3 on the xlr jacks to use the TRS plugs. A piece of bent thick copper wire can be used, or you can purchase little plug cap things that do the same job.

241703d1316973701-extremely-frustrated-why-wont-my-amp-get-loud-cardas_cgsp_xlr_sm.jpg

Doing this with copper speakerwire bridging them WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAHOOO!!!!

Unbalanced untill I can attain the balanced converters! Thanks for all the help and insight everyone! I would have gotten nowhere without you all! I learned a lot!

I'm pretty sure Rane has a technical note on their website about connecting balanced and unbalanced. If you have (or can download) the manual for the amp, it should have a page explaining how to connect unbalanced sources.

Or, with one quad op-amp you can make a stereo balanced line driver. Wire 2 sections as inverting buffers, two as non-inverting.
Congratulations on the OP getting it to work. BTW, you forgot the !!!11!!111!!leventy!!1!!!!111111!

For future reference, the Rane technical note would be this:
Sound System Interconnection

I use the Henry Engineering Matchbox for my balanced equipment needs. Check their website for older unit manuals, they even have schematics if you want to DIY a matchbox for yourself.

Watch out for single supply converters such as the SAMSON S-Converter. I originally used them and did not like the rough sound and low headroom. Got some Henry units and along with a dual 15 volt supply they even have op-amp sockets to do some op-amp rolling. OPA op-amps sound good in this application.

I snagged one of my Henry units on ebay for 5 bucks as the seller had no idea how these things work, bargains are out there.

Unfortunately the M*M Unbal didn’t do well. I had one on the shelf stashed away in case I needed one and finally got it out. It worked fine for about a week (couple hours a day) – then poof – right side stopped working. I called about a replacement but it was a few weeks over the warranty period.
Always amazed a how company will risk a poor reputation over a few bucks.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.