Parametric EQ problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to build a parametric eq outlined near the beginning of this site, but when doing a simulation of the frequency response, I get a weird boost past 100kHz. I chose values for C1 = 0.1uF, C2 = 0.68uF, C3 = 0.015uF, C4 = 0.082uF, replaced the 51k resistor with a 200 ohm resister, and used a 10k pot instead of the 1M pot in the gyrators.

I chose those values because I would like the first band to have fmin = 280Hz, fmax = 2kHz, and the second band to have fmin = 2kHz, fmax = 15kHz. With these values and the calculations outlined on that page, I should get pretty close to the desired frequency response in the simulation(ignoring tolerances, etc.), however, I get a very weird boost as shown:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/25813106.jpg/

The first peak occurs at about 280-300Hz(fmin for the first band) just as I calculated, but there should also be a boost at 15kHz(fmax for the second band). Instead I get a weird boost after 100kHz

The commercial parametric equalizers I've seen use state variable filters rather than gyrators. Gyrators are common for graphic. The state variable filters allow Q , gain or frequency changes without affecting the other parameters.

There is also DSP for the more ambitious.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.