radford pre Zd22

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I built one while I was at technical college many years ago as one of the tutors had the service manual.

It's a very straightforward design by todays standards using carefully optimised "classic" voltage amplifier stages.

Hard to say in real terms how good it would sound today as back then I hadn't anything like the same quality of speakers or source components.

From all I have learned in the passing years on circuit design I would say that subjectively it would sound excellent.

pcb line stage

hours I try to see if all the discrete components are readily available, otherwise it will be replaced or so it's very hard to accomplish

zd22-linea.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's the original board layout :)

Biggest problem might be the axial electroylitics if you are keeping it original. There's a bit of scope for reworking the board slightly to accomodate radials in several locations. The layout as far as such things go isn't critical.

I have a modded ZD22/HD250 integrated amplifier in my garage. (It doesn't normally live in a garage, it's just we've moved relatively recently, and I haven't found a proper home for it yet).
It's modded, because the power stage (HD250 part?) was upgraded by my father years ago (actually, decades ago) with some Crimson Electrik boards, as far as I'm aware the preamp is unchanged though.

How does it sound? Well, very nice I think - although I have limited frame of reference. I've not really compared it to much. It's faired very well against a friend's audiolab 8000 kit - although we were enjoying the music more than comparing kit (and possibly unfair/uncontrolled tests because we weren't keeping speakers constant).

Anyway, I feed it with a CD player and DAC, and listen on either LS3/5As or Mission 751s, and I'm very happy with it (admittedly, thats with the power stage, I can't swap the pre amp for something else to compare).

Attachments

• radford.jpg
    radford.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 455
I've Got One

If you're interested; I have a ZD22 PreAmp. Due to it's age and lack of use I would say it is in non-working condition. It has been stored for years in my attic. It was a fantastic piece of gear till one day the power supply started motor-boating. Not being technical, I put it aside and bought a new ( hafler) preamp. The workmanship of that Radford is something special, lots of neatly done hand wiring. I never had the heart to get rid of it but I will now consider an offer to part with it if it would be going to a loving restoration.

Hi, I try to build a clone of the preamplifier zd22 Radford, has anyone ever heard this?:confused:
I have already 'designed the master for printed circuits, but first I would like to hear some opinion.
greetings.
w w w . p c b - a u d i o . c o m

Hi !
have you completed your project ?
Maybe you already have it but I am attaching the schematics
http://www.acousticpsychos.com/Files/Radford-HD250-ZD22-int-sm.pdfhttp://www.acousticpsychos.com/Files/Radford-HD250-ZD22-int-sm.pdf
The line stage (fig. 12) by the way seems unecessarily overdesigned
There are 3 stages when just the first one (gain =3) should be more than enough
I like very much this stage
With a friend we tried to clone it ... just the stage called LINE INPUT AMPLIFIER
Of course we use a log pot instead of the linear one
I liked the sound much more than how my friend liked it
This kind of "minimalist" approach is what fascinates me
Kind regards,
gino

Last edited:
ZD22 Radford Available

If you're interested; I have a ZD22 PreAmp with the multi-voltage tap AC input. Featured an excellent phono section too. Now, Due to it's age and lack of use I would say it is in non-working condition. It has been stored for years in my attic. It was a fantastic piece of gear till one day the power supply started motor-boating. The workmanship of that Radford is something special, lots of neatly done hand wiring lots of discrete Xistors. I never had the heart to get rid of it but I will now consider an offer to part with it if it would be going to a loving restoration. Make an offer.

yes when it is in circuit it is inverting,thats the problem.i would like the output signal with tone control included to be in phase with the input. i could add an opamp based inverting stage but i would like to use only bjts thats why i asked for an inverting buffer

Attachments

• radline.gif
    radline.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 220
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.