Floating Differential Signal - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2011, 06:55 PM   #21
Zaaphod is offline Zaaphod  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfenriz View Post
LT1016, TL3016, AD8561, LT1711, ...
Thanks! I'll get a few to experiment with
Old 26th September 2011, 03:48 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I was just thinking about this idea of sending the PWM signal down the twisted pair and just power amplifying it at the other end... is there some way I could adjust the volume from the amplifier end? it doesn't seem like I would be able to to much with it at that end other than perhaps change power supply voltage, but that may just make distortion if it isn't high enough. I think for my outdoor speakers, it will not matter, because I would want them all at the same level anyway, but for indoor speakers inside rooms, I may want to adjust just one pair to be different than the rest. Perhaps I can use my balanced line level signal for indoor runs and the pwm signal for the long outdoor runs.
Old 26th September 2011, 04:00 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Here is a circuit board I came up with for the opto isolated power buffer idea. It's a solid ground plane on the top side, mostly a +V plane on the bottom side. Going to order some parts and some blank copper clad boards and give it a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcp1407 both.jpg (114.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg mcp1407 bot.jpg (118.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg mcp1407 top.jpg (98.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg mcp1407 sch.jpg (165.9 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Zaaphod; 26th September 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 26th September 2011, 04:16 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Your original circuit would work with the simple addition of a couple of Opamps on the receive end.
One opamp to receive the balanced audio and another to invert the phase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Balanced in and out.jpg (36.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 26th September 2011, 04:24 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Will the opamps work with the floating signal?

perhaps I could just use a dual output op-amp like the LT1016 previously mentioned which would give me both the inverted and non inverted output with an 8pin DIP. I was trying to stay away from op amps because of the split supply. is there a way I could make it work properly with a single supply?
I guess I could use a +/- 15V supply and just not hook up ground to the TPA2122D2 so it would get 30V, and capacitor couple the inputs, still a single supply would be a little more elegant

I think I am going to use the original version with balanced line level inputs for my indoor speakers, (once I figure out the floating signal problem) and try the pwm method for my outdoor speakers.

Last edited by Zaaphod; 26th September 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 26th September 2011, 05:16 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Opamps will work with your floating signal.
Since you are using a single-ended power supply, you will need to create a phantom center tap. You can do this by using a couple of resistors and a capacitor to remove the power supply noise.
When creating the phantom center tap, you must use coupling capacitors on the outputs of the Opamps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Balanced IO.jpg (46.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 26th September 2011, 07:45 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info.

Looks like that LT1016 I was looking at is really a comparator, not an op amp, I don't know if that would really work in an analog application, and they are quite expensive as well, I don't know why, but they are over $5 each at Digi-Key.

Any recommendation on a good op amp for this? I happen to have some TL084s, I can probably use those for a prototype. Is there a better quality opamp I should look at?
Old 26th September 2011, 07:47 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Test the circuit with your TL084s. They should work just fine for you prototype.
Old 27th September 2011, 05:57 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaaphod View Post
Here is a circuit board I came up with for the opto isolated power buffer idea. It's a solid ground plane on the top side, mostly a +V plane on the bottom side. Going to order some parts and some blank copper clad boards and give it a try.
I'd strongly recommend using more powerfull diodes, perfectly schottky ones like 1N5822

P.S. Have you had a look at TC4422 driver? It seems better.

Last edited by darkfenriz; 27th September 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 27th September 2011, 06:04 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Berry View Post
Your original circuit would work with the simple addition of a couple of Opamps on the receive end.
One opamp to receive the balanced audio and another to invert the phase.
The common mode range of such circuits is very limited. They are not intended to work with fully floating signals.
Practically they are only good for ground loop eliminators or so-called DI-boxes, where all signals are referenced to different ground potentials.

Hide this!Advertise here!