Passive Crossover for Loudspeakers? HELP! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2011, 08:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Passive Crossover for Loudspeakers? HELP!

I have 1600 RMS @ 8 Ohms going to four 4ohm DVC subwoofers.

I need to LPF filter them.

I am very budget minded. I have read building your own "Passive" crossover is easy.

Should I buy this ? Amazon.com: 100 Hz Low Pass 8 Ohm Crossover: Electronics

Will it hold up to my wattage?

How do I go about doing my whole system in LPF/HPF/Band pass filtering?

All insight would be appreciated...

How much does it cost to build one myself?

What are the alternatives?

$$$ CONCIOUS!

Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 09:18 AM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I was going to move this to multiway but perhaps it is better here. Is the amp dedicated to the subs? If so you would be far better off using an active filter.

I'm not sure what the power handling of that crossover is, but if you are going to go anywhere near 1600W then I would say it would be woefully inadequate

You may want to consider a passive line level crossover too, if the amp is dedicated to the subs, and you don't need a steep slope.

Tony.
Old 16th September 2011, 11:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice Tony!

The amp is dedicated for subs.

I am beginner in DIY audio and I would love to learn

I feel a small project might help my understanding of this field.

I do not need a steep slope, but I do not know what a "passive line level crossover" is or how to make one. Is it cheaper than an active filter?

It seems active filters are very popular. I would like to apply filters to lots of speakers in the future, will an active filter allow flexibility like that? Or will I need separate active filters for each amplifier channel?

I read a tutorial explaining to use a coil for low passing and a capacitor for high passing. It said to connect it in series to the positive lead of the speaker. How hard and risky is this to do? They also always explain to make sure these crossovers can handle the wattage of the amp... And I do believe my amp is truly 1600 RMS @ 8 ohms

Insight for a total noob at this would be great. I'm really intrigued in the DIY quick LPF w/ a coil? Are these bad though?

Hide this!Advertise here!