3 BAND TONE CONTROL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Reno1 is offline Reno1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 3 BAND TONE CONTROL

Hi I want to use this circuit after my phono preamp but I was wondering would swapping the smd resistors to a more conventional number have any ill effect. For example swapping the 4.02k resistor to 4k the same goes for 1.91k, 5.36k 19.1k any suggestions ?
Attached Images
File Type: png 3 Band EQ.png (85.1 KB, 300 views)
Old 14th September 2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Leon08 is offline Leon08  Germany
Banned

Resistors and all parts have some tolerances, for instance 5% or 10%.So this means that they are never the same value and any resistor is slightly different.I also have never seen a 4.02k resistor.This is not normal resistor wich you can buy.
Old 15th September 2011, 03:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon08 View Post
Resistors and all parts have some tolerances, for instance 5% or 10%.So this means that they are never the same value and any resistor is slightly different.I also have never seen a 4.02k resistor.This is not normal resistor wich you can buy.
Those are all standard 1% values.

Resistor Values E6 E12 E24 E48 E96 E192

You can buy them at DigiKey and Mouser and likely Farnell (and many others). I used to use E96 values exclusively at a former job.

G
Old 15th September 2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Leon08 is offline Leon08  Germany
Banned

4k and 4,02k are pretty much the same.I would not care about the exact values and replace them with the next best.
This resistors set the gain of the op-amps and have no impact on tone.

Last edited by Leon08; 15th September 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 15th September 2011, 09:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply appreciate it
Old 16th September 2011, 12:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

These are filters that need fairly accurate resistor (1%) and capacitor (2-5%) tolerance values. You could simulate them with free software like TI's FilerPro or LT's FilterLab and see what the effects are on changing parts values. E
Old 21st September 2011, 01:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the help guys, I have got just one more quick question. I have fount another version of this eq with another opamp on the output and would like to no what it does and if its necessary thanks.
Old 21st September 2011, 01:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help guys, just another quick question. I have fount another version of this EQ with a extra opamp on the output and would like to know what it does and if its necessary thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 5.png (94.4 KB, 197 views)
Old 21st September 2011, 05:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Look at the circuit:
High and low filters go through a non-inverting amp, are summed at U23B, inverting amp U23B and inverted again in U23A. Good!
Mids go through inverter U24A and come out inverted after U23A
Good, bad? Build it, you judge. E
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno1 View Post
Thanks for the help guys, just another quick question. I have fount another version of this EQ with a extra opamp on the output and would like to know what it does and if its necessary thanks.
It adds a phase inversion but as MickeyMoose pointed out the mid has an inversion that the other two do not have. Does this EQ have a 'flat' position? It would seem that if the slopes between mid / low and mid / high don't match exactly it will never have a 'flat' mode. It seems to be the oddest EQ configuration I've ever seen. Have you looked into parametric equalizers or even plain old graphics?

G

Hide this!Advertise here!