Preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Kurt Von Kubik

Having looked at your download in post #1 I can say the PCB etc appears to be of very high quality but, as this is primarily a DIY forum for the free sharing of ideas it seems inappropriate to me that you are using this forum as a springboard to promote your products.

Like many on here I would like to make my own mind up.

Important to me would be channel separation vs frequency vs left/right channels. In other words is there an image shift with frequency ? Something that is overlooked in nearly all designs.

What is the channel isolation between inputs ? Could capacitive coupling result in a breakthrough between inputs ?

Do the inputs work into a high impedance or a "virtual earth" ? which is of relevance to the above points.

While I wish you every success with this, if you wish to promote what is essentially a "finished article" that is closed to discussion then with the greatest respect this is not imo the place to do it.

Kurt Von Kubik

Having looked at your download in post #1 I can say the PCB etc appears to be of very high quality but, as this is primarily a DIY forum for the free sharing of ideas it seems inappropriate to me that you are using this forum as a springboard to promote your products.

Like many on here I would like to make my own mind up.

Important to me would be channel separation vs frequency vs left/right channels. In other words is there an image shift with frequency ? Something that is overlooked in nearly all designs.

What is the channel isolation between inputs ? Could capacitive coupling result in a breakthrough between inputs ?

Do the inputs work into a high impedance or a "virtual earth" ? which is of relevance to the above points.

While I wish you every success with this, if you wish to promote what is essentially a "finished article" that is closed to discussion then with the greatest respect this is not imo the place to do it.

Hi Mooly
We do not have any product to promote.
You´ll have to do it yourself all of it.
Nice that you can recognize the layout qualities of the board.
The one you look at is produced in China, components are hand mounted in DK.
My own example was done in Bulgaria by Olimex, and is a prototype, but I´ll soon assemble my own on the Chinese board.
Olimex cannot comply to ROHS, therefor they deliver PCB´s with Chemical gold, witch is somewhat more difficult to solder.

If you mail me, Ill send you the schematics, they should answer your questions.
About imaging I think this one will be a surprise.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you mail me, Ill send you the schematics, they should answer your questions.
About imaging I think this one will be a surprise.

Thanks for the offer but I really believe (that on this site) that they should be available for all to see... and yes you will get comment ranging from the negative to the positive, some comments will be plain wrong, some will make you laugh and some just misguided through lack of technical understanding, but there will be some that actually help take the design (the next one ?) forward or make you see things a little differently. That has certainly happened to me on here... all part of what diyAudio is about.

Thanks again...

Thanks for the offer but I really believe (that on this site) that they should be available for all to see... and yes you will get comment ranging from the negative to the positive, some comments will be plain wrong, some will make you laugh and some just misguided through lack of technical understanding, but there will be some that actually help take the design (the next one ?) forward or make you see things a little differently. That has certainly happened to me on here... all part of what diyAudio is about.

Thanks again...

Well you do what you find to suit you best.
We will do exactly the same.
This project was not published to be discussed in that manner.
We´ve received lots of PM´s and mails regarding details in the design, but none of any use.
The project is about actually doing a preamplifier IRL. Not as a discussion or theoretical experiment.
It is for real, it works and according to the builders it works indeed very fine.

This is a building thread, not a debate about how DIY projects in the opinion of a minority of users are to be done.

More than thousand downloads tells us, that it is completely irrelevant to publish schematics. They will always end up in discussions about opinions about this and that, resulting in none or very few completed projects.

Anyone capable can do changes to our project, but we do really not want, things like that to refer to our project.

Our project is closed and stays so until further notice.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't understand Chinese, so the response can be anything. Besides yourself and your mate, there are only about ten other members that posted on this thread and I see pictures of only two completed unit - far from thousands. I think you are totally in a dream world.

I have not seen one member giving such feed-back on this forum. Maybe you can refer us to of these threads where the guy chucked away his $10K preamp for this one.
threads

There are probably not many diyers who have spent $10k for a preamp. Once one understands how trivially easy it is to design a unit with very high performance, the hype surrounding the expensive stuff (or mysterious, hyped designs) seems somewhat ridiculous. DIY is educational in many ways!

Unfortunately I don't understand Chinese, so the response can be anything. Besides yourself and your mate, there are only about ten other members that posted on this thread and I see pictures of only two completed unit - far from thousands. I think you are totally in a dream world.

Google translate is a great helper.
If you cannot do anything else than looking at pictures, you are in trouble.
Th original thread is from DK.
And as explained earlier 30 people ordered PCB´s and components.
Of those around 10 did finish the project by now.

Then we published files at DIY Audio.
Only a few responded in the thread, but mostly negative.
By now more than 1.000 downloads is a fact.
Mails and PM´s are coming in in bigger numbers that we ever expected.
Which means that a lot is going on out of your vision.
I hope you don´t have a problem about that?

You obviously do not like the project, actually without knowing much about it.
Why don´t you just stay away from it?

Last edited:
How would your pre-amplifier compare to this pre-amplifier. In other words will it sound more/less transparent, better/worse.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 239
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
looks nice
and your point is ?
but I thought you were using att on your wadia, and didn't need a preamp at all
seem like there's something I dont' understand
or maybe it was a different member

but it is interesting that we are reading reviews here

who can write reviews on something they haven't heard

maybe a new industrial standard
or just something new and refreshing

btw
may I remind you that there are almost 190.000 members here
are you speaking on behalf of all members ?

anyway
I guess you are right
its much easier and simpler to buy a PASS clone from China or India
what else will be needed

looks nice
and your point is ?

it is interesting that we are reading reviews here

who can write reviews on something they haven't heard

maybe a new industrial standard
or just something new and refreshing

btw
may I remind you that there are almost 190.000 members here
are you speaking on behalf of all members ?

My point exactly, what is he offering some pictures and a layout. For all we know he is stone deaf.

I have no idea who's pre-amps the picture comes from. I do know it is a Chinese product, but it does look nice.

I am just trying to prove a point that IMHO the DIY community has nothing else for comparison besides a schematic and if the schematic has merit, I for one may build it and if it does not make my eyes water or I grow hairs on my teeth in the first few minutes then it may be worth including it in my system. And I will praise the designer likewise as well as promote his creation.

We are forever trying to better our systems in order to find what we consider the best sound performance that we can muster, but a picture and bom says virtually nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.