Preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have very good skills in soldering SMD components, then this project can be of interest to you. And if you do have the soldering skills required, you ought also to be able to back engineer the preamplifier to schematics.
So it is pretty simple. Do it or just don´t do it.
If you need schematics to know if it is worthwhile, this might not be the project you are looking for.
It has to be build the way it was intended, otherwise find another project.

So Juma! If you are not in the target group, then why are you commenting in this thread.
Just do it, or just don´t do it.

Last edited:
.... So Juma! If you are not in the target group, then why are you commenting in this thread.

Because I generally dislike that kind of manipulation (it reminds me of some prude girls from long ago: "you may touch it, but I won't let you see it ") :rolleyes:

Anyway, my observation was a friendly one - if you think that you are doing the right stuff, go ahead, I wish you all the best !

Because I generally dislike that kind of manipulation (it reminds me of some prude girls from long ago: "you may touch it, but I won't let you see it ") :rolleyes:

Anyway, my observation was a friendly one - if you think that you are doing the right stuff, go ahead, I wish you all the best !

Most of the members here are pretty technical and would not build anything purely by hearsay. People will evaluate a circuit before committing to it.

If you guarantee that it is the best then are you prepared to refund the time and money if it turns out to be cr@p? When you go into a shop they allow you to listen to a product and make up your mind to purchase it.

Here on the forum you cannot listen, so you evaluate the schematic and decide to build it.

Most of the members here are pretty technical and would not build anything purely by hearsay. People will evaluate a circuit before committing to it.

If you guarantee that it is the best then are you prepared to refund the time and money if it turns out to be cr@p? When you go into a shop they allow you to listen to a product and make up your mind to purchase it.

Here on the forum you cannot listen, so you evaluate the schematic and decide to build it.

If they are as clever as you think, backengineering wll not be a probem at all.
Do it if you like, and do not if you don´t
There will be no schematic published what so ever.

Possibly the most pointless post I've ever seen! I see you have been a member here for over two years Kurt, just what response did you expect from fellow members to a project with no schematic!?
On the other hand.... I can see your reasoning. I've seen many projects presented here by their proud "fathers" who have spent weeks optimising their "baby" only to have it technically torn to bits by the pack and rearranged as something totally different by all the "if I was you I would do it this way" naysayers! But that's how we learn something new and come back with a MKII that's even better is it not? Where/how did you learn the skills to design your magnum opus!?

Kurt,

I design systems for commercial use. However, when these systems are upgraded and the old version does not have any further commercial value to me then I offer it to DIY should someone what to play with it and or improve on it. On a few occassions from feed-back even I learned something which of course was to my benefit to include in newer designs.

Kurt, sharing does not necessarily mean being abused by others although sometimes it seems that some DIYers feel that they know better. I say if they do not have something constructive to offer, then build the run of the mill blameless.

Regards

Nico

Kurt as a matter of interest. Some PCB software can back-engineer a double side PCB within a few minutes, but that is not the point. What is far more satisfying is when you find followers and contributors rather than have someone hack your work and then out of spite represent it badly.

Rather sell your system as a kit or ready build.

Regards

Nico

Kurt as a matter of interest. Some PCB software can back-engineer a double side PCB within a few minutes, but that is not the point. What is far more satisfying is when you find followers and contributors rather than have someone hack your work and then out of spite represent it badly.

Rather sell your system as a kit or ready build.

Regards

Nico
Pm me if it is of any interest to you.

The point is, that this preamp works wonderfully as it is.
Someone out there surely has his or her favorite transistor pairs, favorite white gate electrolytics etc.
But as a matter of fact, all these things has already been dealt with.
As already mentioned, you can PM me for more info on the project if you like.
The reason for this is, that we do not want to see this project spin around as i.e a leaded version, just because SMD take soldering skills or any other version imagineable. Because among a lot of other details, the layout and the choice of components and attention to detail is the backbone in our design.
There is no idiosyncratic design details to find, and we want to keep it that way.

Kurt, I prefer to keep an open conversation and avoid private discussions. Unlike your methodology, I do not design with favorite components, I simply find a component that is up to the job, not because I like its contribution. When designing for a market then your design must be totally transparent and not design some of your own character into it else the market will consist of only disciples who have the same interpretation as you have, This means loosing a great market segment.

I do not want a customer to say that it is warm or cold sound, but it is totally transparent - i.e. no character of the amp is overwhelming in its music reproduction. If it is not possible to make a wire with gain then it must be possible through technology and knowledge to come very close to such a wire.

Those are the designs I spend years on perfecting and commercially market where they are aimed at, satisfies 99.99% of the customers.

Nico

Kurt, I prefer to keep an open conversation and avoid private discussions. Unlike your methodology, I do not design with favorite components, I simply find a component that is up to the job, not because I like its contribution. When designing for a market then your design must be totally transparent and not design some of your own character into it else the market will consist of only disciples who have the same interpretation as you have, This means loosing a great market segment.

I do not want a customer to say that it is warm or cold sound, but it is totally transparent - i.e. no character of the amp is overwhelming in its music reproduction. If it is not possible to make a wire with gain then it must be possible through technology and knowledge to come very close to such a wire.

Those are the designs I spend years on perfecting and commercially market where they are aimed at, satisfies 99.99% of the customers.

Nico

I could not agree more.
But your goals as well as ours, are out of sight, if you do not take your choises. I.e. we would not be able to do what we did without ROHM transistors. You cannot trade them in for any other. They simply have the most linear Hfe available. Also in our DAC design, the filtering caps has to be PPS, otherwise it performs as if it has not been filtered with PPS.
So that leaves us in a dilemma.
No design is transparent to a degree where components are without any significant importancy. Otherwise I agree with you very much.
Anyways why not just choose the best available. And mostly that means "industry grade" and not "audio grade". The latter being mostly downgrades of the first.

I'm a little confused, why the schematics are som important to people. In my mind, sonic performance is the parameter to evaluate i HiFi, not the schematics.
About the refund thing...: Does it make any difference, if you know the schematic. Would you still expect a refund if you don't like the sound, or is it OK, if you can see the schematics??

I see a lot of people building the Buffalo DAC from TPA. Somehow it isn't a problem, that they do not provide anything at all. At least we provide Gerber's and BOM, so that you can buy components from your local dealer.

Anyway, we don't want to waste time discussing this, since it will not make any difference at this time.

Quite a few DIY'ers from Denmark did already build the preamp, and feedback about the sound is very positive from each of them.
Even as an engineer, that's more impartant to me than discussing the schematics.

So if you're into listening to music, feel free to build the preamp.

I am not into listening to music, I am into experiencing the music as the artist wanted it. Unfortunately if you cannot hear it, it is like arranging your marriage to an unknown person over the phone.

Good luck guys, I hope you find some DIYers here that that will build something blindly just for the sake of building something.

Think were here to learn what works and what not works....that's the hobby of diy'ers. I don't believe that many people here build for getting a product, If so we might as well buy sonething off the shelve...
So when considering to buy a kit or a PCB...its most often because there has been an enlightened path from the circuit idea to a group buy or a Kit....like in lineups tread about the Jfet amplifier... where Hugh..made a PCB and a kit...
Here you are just in the Dark...And like Nico.. It's just not for me...!!

Think were here to learn what works and what not works....that's the hobby of diy'ers. I don't believe that many people here build for getting a product, If so we might as well buy sonething off the shelve...
So when considering to buy a kit or a PCB...its most often because there has been an enlightened path from the circuit idea to a group buy or a Kit....like in lineups tread about the Jfet amplifier... where Hugh..made a PCB and a kit...
Here you are just in the Dark...And like Nico.. It's just not for me...!!

Well
I suppose you won´t do it then.
I hope you´ll find something else of interest.

Kurt, with all due respect, you're missing the point. This is a technical forum where poeple come to learn, and to contribute their own designs to the knowlege base, and have the designs critiqued by others for possible problems or improvements. It's just about impossible to accomplish any of that without a schematic to look at. I for one won't spend any money or effort on an unknown circuit that is posted with nothing more than an empty promise that I'll like it, I need details.

Mike

And all such things like ,,if someone can solve my smd riddle than he can draw the schematic....,,
I think boys that I'm too stupid ......
Kurt maybe we can ask guys from NASA to help us. We are so interestsd in rocket science preamp.....but we are just so stupid......
But I believe you it must be very good preamp.
What a pointless thread.
With all respect.

Well, I guess that this project is placed in the wrong forum. It has always been intended for people to enjoy music, which seems to be secondary to many people in here.

Who declared you a sole arbiter of people here and their relation to music/sound ?

In the last 25 years since I enjoy this hobby I learned a couple of things, one of them being that there are two reasons to hide the schematic:
1. to protect the IP and the commercial interests when you have a good sounding and good selling device
2. when you have a so-so device but and you use a lot of exaggerated hype to try to sell it

The other thing I learned is that the schematic always shows the contours of how the device will sound.

Well, I guess that this project is placed in the wrong forum. It has always been intended for people to enjoy music, which seems to be secondary to many people in here.

Yes, e-bay is the word. :D

Look guys I have in my home system Audio Research Reference 5, Burmester 077, plus few other preamps on the test, so you see I am looking for the best one here. There are only two ways to sell me your stuff, either send me a working unit to the test like the others did or show me what you've got "under the hood". Schematic I mean ... :cool:

P.S. I use the CD/SACD source Esoteric P05/D-05 in my lab just to test my DIY amps. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 420
Yes, e-bay is the word. :D

Look guys I have in my home system Audio Research Reference 5, Burmester 077, plus few other preamps on the test, so you see I am looking for the best one here. There are only two ways to sell me your stuff, either send me a working unit to the test like the others did or show me what you've got "under the hood". Schematic I mean ... :cool:

P.S. I use the CD/SACD source Esoteric P05/D-05 in my lab just to test my DIY amps. :D

Sorry but we do not have any more PCB´s or the components for building one.
If you reed the original thread, you´ll see, that 30 PCB´s were bought by around 20 users from a chinese vendor. Components were also bought in companionship all together. Around 10 are up and playing. The rest is soon to come.
They did this without any schematics, and they are very happy all of them.
A few guys from here did contact me for schematics, and they have them already.

So if you wan´t to do it, you´ll have to buy your PCB yourself, or organize i it along with others interested.
And there must be a lot of others, since the building instruction has been downloaded almost 500 times.

Regarding the preamps you are testing, it would be really funny to also try this one out, You might be able to build i for about 4-500$ depending on the numbers of PCB´s, Components and other stuff you need.
The point is namely, that we cannot in any way use more money, and get better sound with this design. Everything is industry standard components. And you´ll not find one single audio grade component except the ALPS potentiometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.