A Different Opamp Compensation Technique. - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2012, 04:06 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Hi Daniel
It's a long process of unravelling all the many inter-related techniques of harmonic distortion "profiling" that are now used by designers and DIYs alike to arrive at worthwhile improvements in our listening experience. Efforts tend to be focused on the power amplifiers, where the effects are generally more pronounced due to higher currents but this is probably wandering too far off-topic. Suffice to say that IMHO, basic stereo and larger 2.1 systems are as far as it is worth applying this sort of skulduggery before you start conflicts with DSP and multi-channel imaging.
Old 4th October 2012, 05:17 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
Hi Daniel It's a long process of unravelling all the many inter-related techniques of harmonic distortion "profiling" that are now used by designers and DIYs alike to arrive at worthwhile improvements in our listening experience. Efforts tend to be focused on the power amplifiers, where the effects are generally more pronounced due to higher currents but this is probably wandering too far off-topic. Suffice to say that IMHO, basic stereo and larger 2.1 systems are as far as it is worth applying this sort of skulduggery before you start conflicts with DSP and multi-channel imaging.
I use monophonic for soundfield size observations, with 1 speaker. Adding the distracting complexity of more channels would not be conducive to accuracy in observations.

You're not off topic. Mooly's resistor and my very similar contraption both do make noise. However, both do make for gigantic and more involving presentations, well able to fill a house from just 1 speaker located far off in the spare room, yet crystal clear audio all over the house. That's a good compromise.

Mine is doing multi-compensation as the pre-existing compensations of the design were not removed. As you turn up the volume, it starts to engage dynamically. My circuit is "off" during quiet transients. Well, it is not quite off--Those diodes are capacitive. It is a miniature RC. Except for that bit, I've altered only louder transients.
It was like removing earplugs, or a lot more like turning off a fan.
And, like Mooly indicated:
This is quite puzzling for an already excellent amplifier.

P.S.
Audio like strong wind, full blast, without discomfort, is usually an impedance thing and usually done with some sort of multi-pass circuit. Does either Mooly's circuit or mine have two paths for the source signal to get amplified? I didn't do this intentionally (this time), but would like to know if it exists.

Hide this!Advertise here!