Best Pre amp Kit on the market

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But I think it is polite to thank people for confirming you are right :)

Sure, if in agreement, which from the sound of it, the OP was not. ;)

I'm not sure how my comments came off but I'm in full agreement with TerryO. Suggestions have been given and they're not being well received. Why ask for opinions if you're going to pooh pooh all that are given?

Last edited:
ob disc: I was one half of the design team for this ;)

the AMB alpha 10:

5127257713_1206166da2_z.jpg

very quiet (discrete buffers and discrete PSU) and 127db in half db steps via latched relay atten. open source arduino code for the lcduino controller side of things. 8 selectable ports (each can be set for in/out/disabled). IR remote control and motor pot for UI elements.

again, I worked on this so I'm biased (lol) but its fully high-end by design and by spec. a lot of build time (many connectors and large motherboard) but that's what diy is about - lots of time on your hands ;)

my version does not look as good; the photo show's amb's actual version.

ob disc: I was one half of the design team for this ;)

the AMB alpha 10:

5127257713_1206166da2_z.jpg

very quiet (discrete buffers and discrete PSU) and 127db in half db steps via latched relay atten. open source arduino code for the lcduino controller side of things. 8 selectable ports (each can be set for in/out/disabled). IR remote control and motor pot for UI elements.

again, I worked on this so I'm biased (lol) but its fully high-end by design and by spec. a lot of build time (many connectors and large motherboard) but that's what diy is about - lots of time on your hands ;)

my version does not look as good; the photo show's amb's actual version.

I've built the a20 boards for this and it is currently in use. Very simple, very nice sounding the only thing they could've done to top it is to add a dc servo. The tempo drift on the jfets is a PITA not to mention the thought of amplified DC.

Cascoding the input jfets would've been nice as well but I'm nit picking.

For what it's worth:
I put together a Pass B1 buffer using a Goldpoint stepped attenuator that still cost less than $200- .
I have directly A/B'd it with my friend's Audio Research SP15 and can say (gain limitation noted) that the advantage goes to the B1. Both sound fantastic but the B1 has more distinct imagery.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.