ESP Project 104 muting problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
I'm trying to finish a Linkwitz Orion ASP upgrade and adding a mute circuit. There is a problem when cutting the power it wont mute.

The circuit Project 104 - Preamp/ crossover muting circuit

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The problem is that there is a voltage on pin 1 to the AC trigger part despite the fact that the ac is cut. It has to go low before the circuit mutes . (should happen 50ms after ac is cut)
Its two diodes between GND and positive rail. In the middle there is pin 1. It seems like i get half voltage (like a voltage divider) between GND and +5.5 V (I'll use a 5.5V zener) The level is always high. I can mesure ~2.8 V slowly decreasing when the external filter caps drains.

I use full rectifier bridges. two instead of only one described in the article.
Anybody knows whats I'm doing wrong? This is driving me mad :eek:
Thanks for all suggestions! :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just some thoughts...

The 100k to pin 1 has to be "ground referenced" which would normally be via the transformer. In other words the left hand end of R1 should read essentially zero ohms to ground. Check it ? Have you got it connected to the AC on the tranny and not the rectified rails ?

Without seeing how you have wired it up it's hard to say.

Check the remainder of the circuit...

If you lift D3 the circuit should mute/unmute as you short out C1.

That's was the problem :) I had hooked it up like this.
psu3.jpg

The ac was from one of the secondaries, and the positive rail is taken from the same rectified secondary, same with the GND.

I removed one bridge and connected it like it should and now it works perfectly.
But now the regulation is worse i guess. But i will use superregulators so thats probably not a problem :)
Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.