RCA to XLR Converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I have a few pairs of studio monitors that have XLR inputs. I connect the rca/line level outputs from my ipod,bly-ray player, and macbook pro ect... using simple rca to xlr cables and this sounds pretty good but it also sounds somewhat off to me.

I also have two firewire soundcards that have actual balanced outputs and Ive noticed that it sounds somewhat more balanced (no pun intended). It seams everything is projected more correctly top to bottom, and when using the rca ouputs to them to me it sounds like the sound is kind of being projected at a slight angle and like some frequency ranges are slightly more pronounced while others slightly less, it doesnt sound bad just somwehat "off" and it bugs me.

Anyways Im thinking this might be due to an impedance mismatch between the rca outputs and xlr inputs or maybe something else? Could a di box that converts unbalanced to balanced signal correct this problem? Or is there another solution?

thanks

I presume you are grounding the cold pin of the XLR when connecting an unbalanced source?

Yes you can get unbalanced to balanced active converters.
You could also use a transformer. RDL make a range of products that would do the job for you.

As for the difference in sound, there shouldnt be much difference if the cold pin is grounded. Perhaps you are hearing the difference in the "sound" of the cables.

Consumer equipment has a different output level to professional equipment which will be expecting a hotter signal. This may account for some difference in sound.

I presume you are grounding the cold pin of the XLR when connecting an unbalanced source?

Yes you can get unbalanced to balanced active converters.
You could also use a transformer. RDL make a range of products that would do the job for you.

As for the difference in sound, there shouldnt be much difference if the cold pin is grounded. Perhaps you are hearing the difference in the "sound" of the cables.

Consumer equipment has a different output level to professional equipment which will be expecting a hotter signal. This may account for some difference in sound.

Yes Im pretty sure that what the cable basically does. Im pretty sure its not the sound of the cables I have 4 sets of RCA to balanced cables and I hear it with all of them.

""Consumer equipment has a different output level to professional equipment which will be expecting a hotter signal. This may account for some difference in sound""

Yeah this cold be it, I do hear it at all volume levels though, but maybe balanced amplifiers are made to respond better to the hotter output signal of balanced outputs?

Read Jensen app note AN-003.
They show a variety of methods to convert single ended to balanced.

Thanks, I dont have enough knowlegde to fully understand what they're talking about it seems that they rate minimal better and best to the methods that rejects common mode noise the best not really sound quality? Would a passive DI box fall within the better or best category?

I would preferably like to use a passive solution, Currently I'm considering the rolls db24 Rolls DB24 - Stereo Direct Interface DB24 B&H Photo Video

Yes Im pretty sure that what the cable basically does. Im pretty sure its not the sound of the cables I have 4 sets of RCA to balanced cables and I hear it with all of them.

""Consumer equipment has a different output level to professional equipment which will be expecting a hotter signal. This may account for some difference in sound""

Yeah this cold be it, I do hear it at all volume levels though, but maybe balanced amplifiers are made to respond better to the hotter output signal of balanced outputs?

Thanks, I dont have enough knowlegde to fully understand what they're talking about it seems that they rate minimal better and best to the methods that rejects common mode noise the best not really sound quality? Would a passive DI box fall within the better or best category?

I would preferably like to use a passive solution, Currently I'm considering the rolls db24 Rolls DB24 - Stereo Direct Interface DB24 B&H Photo Video

What is the input impedance of your speakers that take the XLR inputs? I'm guessing the impedence is too low for what you are driving them with, in which case using a step up transformer to increase the level would only make the problem worse, as the impedance seen by the driving circuit would be even lower than if there were no transformer.

Even if only for a test try going through a good preamplifier that can drive low impedance loads. It does not have to be a balanced preamp for the test.

RCA - XLR line converters

RCA - XLR line converters used to be hard to find, there’s a ton of them out now, powered and un-powered. For example: Rolls line balancers MB15-B Dual Stereo Matchbox Converter

Hi I have a few pairs of studio monitors that have XLR inputs. I connect the rca/line level outputs from my ipod,bly-ray player, and macbook pro ect... using simple rca to xlr cables and this sounds pretty good but it also sounds somewhat off to me.

I also have two firewire soundcards that have actual balanced outputs and Ive noticed that it sounds somewhat more balanced (no pun intended). It seams everything is projected more correctly top to bottom, and when using the rca ouputs to them to me it sounds like the sound is kind of being projected at a slight angle and like some frequency ranges are slightly more pronounced while others slightly less, it doesnt sound bad just somwehat "off" and it bugs me.

Anyways Im thinking this might be due to an impedance mismatch between the rca outputs and xlr inputs or maybe something else? Could a di box that converts unbalanced to balanced signal correct this problem? Or is there another solution?

thanks

What is the input impedance of your speakers that take the XLR inputs? I'm guessing the impedence is too low for what you are driving them with, in which case using a step up transformer to increase the level would only make the problem worse, as the impedance seen by the driving circuit would be even lower than if there were no transformer.

Even if only for a test try going through a good preamplifier that can drive low impedance loads. It does not have to be a balanced preamp for the test.

I have three sets of speakers Dynaudio BM5a, genelec 1092a and KRK v4. How do I test the Impedance? Does it have to be powered on? Do I test the pin 1 or pin 2 to ground?

I dont have preamp unfortunately , if possible I would much more prefer a passive solution, if not then I will look at "active" solutions

I have three sets of speakers Dynaudio BM5a, genelec 1092a and KRK v4. How do I test the Impedance? Does it have to be powered on? Do I test the pin 1 or pin 2 to ground?

I dont have preamp unfortunately , if possible I would much more prefer a passive solution, if not then I will look at "active" solutions

I wasn't thinking that you would measure the impedace, but don't the speaker manufacturers have a spec for it?

Just read the operator's manual.

For the Genelec 1092a:

Input connectors: XLR female.
pin 1: gnd
pin 2: +
pin 3: -

Input impedance: 10 kOhm balanced

In my own case I have a Crown amp 20k balanced/10k unbalanced. When driven directly by the line out of my soundcard the sound was not bad, but much better when I tried using a preamp. Fortunately I had a preamp and did not need to go out and get one.

My theory (and it is only a theory) is that my soundcard was not happy trying to drive a 10k load. If I am not mistaken most consumer audio sources are designed for 47k.

You might ask the speaker manufacturer what they would recommend for connecting to an iPod, etc.

Another thought I had is if you have enough gain, you might consider a step *down* transformer. This would reduce the signal level but give you an easier load to drive. Good transformers are not cheap and I realize this would not be a trivial experiment. If it works at least it would be a passive solution. It is also not something I have tried, as the only audio transformers in my system are 1:1.

I also have a Firewire sound device with balanced outputs, though it is currently sitting on the shelf for lack of Windows 7 drivers.

Thanks my krks are also 10k

In my own case I have a Crown amp 20k balanced/10k unbalanced. When driven directly by the line out of my soundcard the sound was not bad, but much better when I tried using a preamp. Fortunately I had a preamp and did not need to go out and get one.

My theory (and it is only a theory) is that my soundcard was not happy trying to drive a 10k load. If I am not mistaken most consumer audio sources are designed for 47k.

You might ask the speaker manufacturer what they would recommend for connecting to an iPod, etc.

Another thought I had is if you have enough gain, you might consider a step *down* transformer. This would reduce the signal level but give you an easier load to drive. Good transformers are not cheap and I realize this would not be a trivial experiment. If it works at least it would be a passive solution. It is also not something I have tried, as the only audio transformers in my system are 1:1.

I also have a Firewire sound device with balanced outputs, though it is currently sitting on the shelf for lack of Windows 7 drivers.

I have limited technical audio knowledge but I think you are probably right.

A di box wont step down signal I believe it is 1:1 so if this is the problem then a di box wont have any effect?

Most manufacturers say to use XLR to rca adapters, Ill shoot Dynaudio an email and see what they think they have usually been pretty resposive to emails.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.