Using digital interconnect as analog interconnect - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2011, 05:21 PM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Termination resistors? For the coax impedance at 100Hz, 1kHz or 10kHz - all different. Coax at audio frequencies does not behave quite like coax at RF, so you can't terminate it in the same way.

Coax cable should not sound either bad or good, it should not sound at all. Exception is if you have a very long length - 100's of metres, or drive it badly from a high impedance.
Old 24th August 2011, 05:33 PM   #12
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I agree.
Old 24th August 2011, 06:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for so many responses.

I actually had that cable in hand for digital use. I just wanted to experiment thus I took out the RCAs and installed BNC bulkheads on pre/amp. I didn't hear any difference, must be my non-golden ears. I did like the secure connection offered by BNC and solidity of Belden.

Other day I was on audiophile cable manufacturers' websites and saw space age designs for single-ended signal. Thus now, I am seeking technical difference of using coaxial or twisted pair for analog signal.
Old 24th August 2011, 06:37 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Twisted Pair or Twisted StarQuad, with or without shield.
AndrewT, Canare sell such cables in foil and braid shields which are mutually exclusive. Which shield will work better in interconnects application?
Old 24th August 2011, 07:00 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Unless you have long interconnects, or lots of local interference, the cable type does not really matter. Connector quality and grounding can be more important. You can safely ignore much of what is said on many cable vendor websites.
Old 25th August 2011, 03:30 PM   #16
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Some interesting notes on audio shielding.
http://www.compliance-club.com/archi...ive/021122.htm

http://www.compliance-club.com/archi...ive/020918.htm

Regarding co-ax, I am curious as to what mechanism causes these type of cables to not sound as good as other topographies.
Old 25th August 2011, 05:55 PM   #17
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Could that be because the Signal Return is not shielded?
The Signal Flow is shielded.
The difference in voltage between the Signal Flow and the Signal Return at the Receiver input is amplified to be sent on to the next stage.
If the Signal Return is subject to interference such that that voltage difference signal is adversely affected then the amplifier is being fed with a "bad" signal and cannot send on a "good" copy to the next stage.
Old 25th August 2011, 06:28 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

A magnetic field would affect inner and screen together, so apart from hum loops is not an issue. An electric field would only affect the screen, but that is grounded so the effect is to inject a small ground current. This could be a problem if the input grounding cannot handle it, but a screened twisted pair would have the same problem.
Old 25th August 2011, 06:47 PM   #19
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
............. a screened twisted pair would have the same problem.
I am not sure that is the case.

The twisted pair is immune to the external field due to the screening and due to the close coupled twisted nature of the Flow and Return.
Ground current could be directed along the screen if needed or it can be single end connected as screen only.
The amplifier sees the voltage difference at the receive end of the Flow and Return pair.
I don't think that can be said for a Coax, which must have the screen connected at both ends.
Old 25th August 2011, 08:10 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Assuming no hum loops, the receiving end sees the difference between signal and return for both cases. The twisted pair is still subject to magnetic fields, and relies on cancellation - the screen is likely to be too thin to stop an audio frequency magnetic field. The twisted pair relies on twisting, the coax relies on cylindrical symmetry. There is a small advantage to the twisted pair if the screen is poor - you can still get cancellation if you have a differential input, even if an external electric field induces a signal. This may mean that a cheap twisted pair is better than a cheap coax.

Hide this!Advertise here!