Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2011, 11:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default XLR Selector Box

Hey All,

I'm a total newbie to the DIYAudio world, so my apologies if the answer to this is obvious:

I want to build a unit with 4 XLR inputs (2 sets of L+R), 2 XLR outputs, and be able to switch between the 2 sets of L+R inputs. Make sense?

At first blush it seemed simple to me, but after doing some reading and research I've confused the crap out of myself. If anyone has any suggestions on how I would go about building such an animal, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 28th August 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

4 XLR inputs means 8 lines to switch. You need an 8 pole 2 way switch. Does such a thing exist? I don't know. Maybe in rotary form. Else you could use relays? Do you need to switch quickly? If not, what about a patch bay?
Old 28th August 2011, 07:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Something like this?

http://www.markertek.com/Routers-Swi...OX-ABS-1.xhtml

Mike

Last edited by Michael Bean; 28th August 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 28th August 2011, 07:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ricobasso is correct, you will need a 8 pole or larger switch.

In the earlier days of computers, several companies such as Black Box made data switch boxes that switched RS232 cables so computers could share printers. They used a 25 pole 2 way switch and this could easily be modified to use XLR jacks instead. You could probably get this on a surplus site for $20 or so. E-mail me if you need additional info.
Old 28th August 2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Tajzmaj is offline Tajzmaj  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I have such problem in a club when I worked. I want to switch between concert mixer and dj mixer. And I want to do it with only one switch. So when I switch the electricity for ,,concert,, I want to switch the signals as well. I made this ,,switch,, by means of 2 small relays........
Only thing which is missing on boars is small transformer. It depends which relays you will find ........there is also voltage regulator predicted on board. So for an example with 12V relays 7812......
Because I convert this p-cad filer to pdf it is possible that it won't work.......than contact me and I will send you the original.
Regards,Taj
Attached Files
File Type: pdf balanced switch1.pdf (41.2 KB, 190 views)
Old 28th August 2011, 07:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You need a 4PDT switch to switch the hots (pins 2 & 3) you can common pins 1 the shields or switch them if you get a 6PDT switch often available as a rotary version.

The wiper is the output.
Old 23rd January 2012, 04:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajzmaj View Post
I have such problem in a club when I worked. I want to switch between concert mixer and dj mixer. And I want to do it with only one switch. So when I switch the electricity for ,,concert,, I want to switch the signals as well. I made this ,,switch,, by means of 2 small relays........
Only thing which is missing on boars is small transformer. It depends which relays you will find ........there is also voltage regulator predicted on board. So for an example with 12V relays 7812......
Because I convert this p-cad filer to pdf it is possible that it won't work.......than contact me and I will send you the original.
Regards,Taj
Hi. Could you repost this pdf or take a print to the screen? I'm looking badly for a diagram for switching xlr signals. Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
You need a 4PDT switch to switch the hots (pins 2 & 3) you can common pins 1 the shields or switch them if you get a 6PDT switch often available as a rotary version.

The wiper is the output.
Those are easy enough to find.
Old 12th October 2012, 09:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I want to do the same thing to switch between two preamps before the amp (2 sets of xlr in and one set out) , But I also want to use a sub line with each set of inputs with a single out (rca)

so should I use a 2 way multi pole switch or a relay system, what would be a cleaner option?
Old 13th October 2012, 11:04 AM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

PIN 1 problem.

Pin 1 goes to chassis, not the switch !!!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!