XLR Selector Box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey All,

I'm a total newbie to the DIYAudio world, so my apologies if the answer to this is obvious:

I want to build a unit with 4 XLR inputs (2 sets of L+R), 2 XLR outputs, and be able to switch between the 2 sets of L+R inputs. Make sense?

At first blush it seemed simple to me, but after doing some reading and research I've confused the crap out of myself. If anyone has any suggestions on how I would go about building such an animal, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Ricobasso is correct, you will need a 8 pole or larger switch.

In the earlier days of computers, several companies such as Black Box made data switch boxes that switched RS232 cables so computers could share printers. They used a 25 pole 2 way switch and this could easily be modified to use XLR jacks instead. You could probably get this on a surplus site for $20 or so. E-mail me if you need additional info.

I have such problem in a club when I worked. I want to switch between concert mixer and dj mixer. And I want to do it with only one switch. So when I switch the electricity for ,,concert,, I want to switch the signals as well. I made this ,,switch,, by means of 2 small relays........
Only thing which is missing on boars is small transformer. It depends which relays you will find ........there is also voltage regulator predicted on board. So for an example with 12V relays 7812......
Because I convert this p-cad filer to pdf it is possible that it won't work.......than contact me and I will send you the original.
Regards,Taj

Attachments

• balanced switch1.pdf
    41.2 KB · Views: 267
I have such problem in a club when I worked. I want to switch between concert mixer and dj mixer. And I want to do it with only one switch. So when I switch the electricity for ,,concert,, I want to switch the signals as well. I made this ,,switch,, by means of 2 small relays........
Only thing which is missing on boars is small transformer. It depends which relays you will find ........there is also voltage regulator predicted on board. So for an example with 12V relays 7812......
Because I convert this p-cad filer to pdf it is possible that it won't work.......than contact me and I will send you the original.
Regards,Taj
Hi. Could you repost this pdf or take a print to the screen? I'm looking badly for a diagram for switching xlr signals. Thanks

I want to do the same thing to switch between two preamps before the amp (2 sets of xlr in and one set out) , But I also want to use a sub line with each set of inputs with a single out (rca)

so should I use a 2 way multi pole switch or a relay system, what would be a cleaner option?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.