Does anyone use a MiniDSP 2x8 as a preamplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been contemplating purchasing a MiniDSP 2x8 kit for the last couple of months. I'm still on the fence over the whole idea of having integrated circuits in my signal path, but that's another issue I suppose.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has successfully used a MiniDSP kit in place of a preamplifier? I tried looking around online and on their site, but it doesn't seem to be clear. Do they have gain? Is the potentiometer option only for attenuation?

I'd like to build a 2x8 kit into a chassis with an input selector, but I can't seem to find any information about how much output voltage they are capable of or how much gain the circuit has.

DrDyna,

I would not worry too much about having integrated cicuits in your signal path, because 1) HQ modern opamps are really like a straight wire with gain and 2) your music sources are likely to have been 'compromised' by such darned IC's earlier in the chain, long before you got to them.

vac

DrDyna,

I would not worry too much about having integrated cicuits in your signal path, because 1) HQ modern opamps are really like a straight wire with gain and 2) your music sources are likely to have been 'compromised' by such darned IC's earlier in the chain, long before you got to them.

vac

This is probably true.

Do you think that its a viable idea to build a diy preamp built around one of these boards then, or do they really need a gain stage to prop them up?

This is probably true.

Do you think that its a viable idea to build a diy preamp built around one of these boards then, or do they really need a gain stage to prop them up?

Yes, absolutely, I use MiniDSP's in the development of active loudspeakers, and they easily drive any power amp I connected to them. Their bigger brother will certainly be able to do the same. After all, they were developed to drive power amps directly.

Yes, absolutely, I use MiniDSP's in the development of active loudspeakers, and they easily drive any power amp I connected to them. Their bigger brother will certainly be able to do the same. After all, they were developed to drive power amps directly.

Thanks :) I'm probably going to order one of these in the next couple of months and build it into a case with an input selector and make a nifty 2 channel preamp / processor.

The other idea I had was to use a large HTPC type case and put a mini itx type pc in the case too and use a little touch screen on the front for control of the MiniDSP, and perhaps even XBMC.

Gonna take some planning though, I'll post something up if I decide to take the plunge.

Thanks fellas!

As said on other threads I've also been considering on of these or the 8x8 version.
I was concerned about the DAC side but understand (help from DIYaudio'er) that you can add a optical input and use the DAC of your choice. Not quite sure how that works - need to investigate. For vinyl I would be at the mercy of the ADC built in.
As I have 5 way horn speakers and 5 amps to crossover (only the tapped subs and mid bass horns) really need any correction though, it would be interesting to try active / digi crossovers on the lower 4 horns and just tag the tweeter on at 9000Hz.
A digital master vol would be nice too.

I'll be very interested to read your reports on sound quality etc if/when you take the plunge.

Speedysteve,

DAC in the MiniDSP is good enough for me. Frankly, can't hear difference with direct input from source into poweramp, or signal run through an ADC-DAC conversion in the MiniDSP. Don't think you can add external DAC though.

vac (no interest in the company whatsoever, just happy with the product).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It is generally possible to add external DACs, however for multichannel it will be really DIY. 2 of the 8 output channels can be routed to an SPDIF out (available on optional miniDIGI card). If you want to add your own DACs for all of the 8 channels, you will have to grap I2C Signals from the board and route them to the DACs (having I2C inputs). Really not plug and play ;-)
However I also think that the DAC used on miniDSP (cirrus CS42528) is quite good.

I am thinking of using a Minidsp for a active crossover for my 2way tops and woofers.
This "wonderboard" can do the job rather easy especially when combined with measurement (incl. room corrections)

@vacuphile: did you listen to a 2x8 Minidsp or to a 2x4?

@ curryman: The DAC you mention (CS42528): is that the one at the 2x8 Minidsp. Do you know wat the DAC on the 2x4 Minidsp is. Or is it integrated on the chip?

I use mine as a pre-amp, with the added Digi-FP and Vol-Fp I have digital inputs and a front mounted board with actual volume knob showing input and settings. Still sat on a open, as I haven't finished the case.

Watching closely the Curryman group buy DAC thread, but just read in the last post that adding 4 dacs isn't that easy!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.