2 way crossover build (diy first timer)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a fEARfull 1515/66 cabinet ( fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys ) but couldn't afford the designated drivers, so I bought cheaper ones. Later I noticed under some other heading in their site not to do this, I now have a built cabinet and drivers. I am stuck on the crossover. Here is what I have:

Tweeter: goldwood horn driver 100 watts RMS, 1800-30000 Hz, 92 dB 1W/1m

2x Midrange: Pyle Pro PDMW6 6-1/2", 8 Ohm, 92dB, 70-95k Hz, 125 watt RMS.

2x Subwoofer: Selenium 15pw3 15", 250 watts RMS/350 watts max, 8 Ohm, 40-4,000 Hz, 98 dB 1W/1m

My questions are;

Should I buy the crossover components designed for the original build?
Should I use a calculator to create a new crossover?
Should I just use a 2-way crossover and ignore the tweeter?
Should I go stick my head in the sand for not researching this first?

Here is the crossover in the plans: (fEARful Crossovers, fEARful 1515/66 with 6NM/ND410 Crossover | Speaker Hardware)

I have an inkling that I should not use the designed crossover, I should build my own, online calculators aren't perfect, and using a 2-way is a stretch/hail mary/dumb idea.

My main interest in this speaker is to listen to dubstep, I only really care about the subs being happy as they are the only moderate quality drivers I bought. This inquiry is done entirely in hindsight. If anyone could help a lost newb, thank you.
-John

Three way.

This kind of driver work is tough for even the most versatile of builders.

There are things you should know, and things your helpers should know.

For you--1: what will suffice for a design SPL.
You have a lot of variables- 2 pyle 8-ohms = one 4 ohm speaker, but at much hgher output.
Your other drivers will not match this--?? I would use just one to make a prototype.
Your selected crossover covers a horn TW and one eight-ohm mid driver. this does not look like too bad a deal, It's a rather nice high-ish frequency third order jobby--But you must assure me...NONE of these tweeters are peizo, are they? Peizo's cross entirely differently than what I have seen in your sources. You have a level adj in the published x-over. Use it!

2: you need a REALISTIC spl for the 15 in. Bass unit, At the frequencies where it will be employed--A bass driver will have a 98 spl At 1khz but nothing like that at 100.
Expect 90 or so. The x-over from 15 incher to mids be they 4 or 8 ohm desgin impedance, will be massively hard-First off, the x-over you show is minimal, & is set at above 500 Hz, which is not for fifteen inchers.

A first order attack I would use is to tame the "sub" with about 18 Mh of treble rolloff, to get something that levels off above 120 hz or so. Look at the plot for the driver the Mfg. gives you, and do some listening in-cabinet. THEN apply an electronic crossover, 2nd butterworth, at 180, 200, 300 hz whichever yuo think ideal. Two sets of amps required, the high end not terrifically powerful, either. A lot of listening, a Mic, and a tone generator out of a pc will help.

We also don't really know your application, and preferred frequency profile-
musical instrument loudspeakers are a mystery to most of us.

Anything you can get from Bill Fitzmaurice is like gold--read everything of his you can get your hands on! DP

Thank You!!!1

What I gather is:
The designated crossover will not work, drivers don't match. Figured as much.

The spl is listed as 98dB averaged from 100 to 2000 Hz. The 40-4000 is at 88dB.
thus
SPL: 88dB

I need to test the sound of the 15" in cabinet.
-How do I do this? A direct plug from the amp? How do I test for frequency? By ear or using a mike and software?

The manufacturer (mfg?) didn't include a plot ( I assume this is the graphical representation of the frequency response). I am at a loss as to what the ideal response is for this particular brand as it is a knock off from brazil, I heard they were not the best, but better than china. I assume then that the average of 40-4000Hz is the ideal speaker range.
thus

Lower frequency range for the subs is: 40-4000Hz at 88dB

Keeping in mind there are 2 subs, 8ohm each= 4 ohm total?

The site recomends the Peavy ECS3X as an alternative to the custom crossover.

Can I say, as a leap of knowledge, that if I purchase a Peavy ECS-3X and use it in conjunction with the speakers in cabinet will be able to modify the crossover ranges till they match my drivers. ( suitable generic crossovers for fEARful )

I do not quite understand what you mean by "roll off" some treble. Does this mean using a bit of the frequency output from the tweeter to combat the subs in some way?

I appreciate the quick response and thank you for your assistance Colwaiting (DP)!
I would like to get a good bass out of this speaker. Think of the deep notes from the movie inception. BWWWWUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM

Thank You!
John B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.