anyone modded their musical fidelity V-LPS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking firzt to change the op-amps, but would like to know if anyone modded this cheap but decent phono and could point me to whats more important to swap?

Try OPA604 or LME49710. You could read below threads for more information. All the mods I have done so far had improved the sound a lot. You will see how capable is this small wonder after doing these upgrades mentioned. Also make sure to use good regulated PSU with enough juice. Wall wart doesn't do any good for this unit.

Here is my modification to the musical fidelity vlps - Page 2 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
WiredState Audio Community • View topic - Modding the MF V-LPS

The Musical Fidelity power supply must be ditched.

Attachments

• MusicalFidelity_V_LPSii Power.png
    MusicalFidelity_V_LPSii Power.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 127
The VLPS also has a 7809 regulator and a diode to prevent wrong way insertion -- this is going to hurt overload margin as you can only swing a little over 2V output. At a minimum you would like 20dB overload margin vis a vis 5mV. With gain of ~42dB @1kHz the VLPs should be able to swing an impossible 6.2V.

RIAA compliance is excellent.

Lastly, don't replace the NE5534. It's an excellent performer.

Attachments

• MusicalFidelity_V_LPSii Overload.png
    MusicalFidelity_V_LPSii Overload.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 111
  • MusicalFidelity_V_LPSii RIAA.png
    MusicalFidelity_V_LPSii RIAA.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Some pictures of the MC pre-pre

THD with 500uV signal, gain is 16dB so the reference, dBrA is 3.2mV.

And the pre-pre can probably take over 4mV input before it runs into trouble. Should be able to handle most high output MC carts.

Attachments

• MusicalFidelity_V_LPSii MCFFT.png
    MusicalFidelity_V_LPSii MCFFT.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 83
  • MusicalFidelity_V_LPSii MCOverload.png
    MusicalFidelity_V_LPSii MCOverload.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 81
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.