Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Reno1 is offline Reno1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Mic Preamp Buffer

Hi I am building a mic preamp using the THAT 1510 preamp however I am in need of a suitable buffer to place after my volume pot to got to my tone control circuit any suggestions
Old 17th June 2011, 12:32 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Single ended or balanced?
Old 17th June 2011, 06:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Single ended or balanced?
Single Ended
Old 17th June 2011, 06:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Then a buffer is pretty simple. If you like tubes, an ECC88 cathode follower will work beautifully (if well designed) without adding significant noise. In the opamp world, a unity-gain-connected OPA2134 will give you much bang for buck.
Old 17th June 2011, 08:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help any recommended circuits preferably using op amps
Old 17th June 2011, 09:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Show us what you have now and what you want to do. Schematic diagramms are the bablefish of electronics. E
Old 17th June 2011, 09:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Also important are specifications for:

*Required overall gain
*Gain of the first stage
*Output level
Old 18th June 2011, 09:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi I am basically using the circuit provided on the website for the THAT 1510 preamp THAT Corporation 1510-1512 Audio Preamplifier ICs
I will be using a 50k pot from the output which will feed the tone control circuit.
The tone control will either be a 3 band baxandall circuit, or a 3 band control with sweepable mid. I will probably use the second one i will post a picture when i can find it thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 10:11 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

The important missing element is the sensitivity of what you're driving. Some line inputs have one or two volts of sensitivity (max input), others more like seven or eight volts. Other question would be, what does the buffer have to drive? If it's a meter or so of coax, just about any good opamp (like a 2134) that's unity gain stable, strapped as a follower (output tied back to the inverting input, input taken to the noniverting input) will work fine. A 100 ohm resistor at the output will help ensure stability. This all assumes something like a 10k input impedance- if you have a 600 ohm load, we'll need to get slightly fancier.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Why an additional volume control? You can use a potentiometer in place of the gain setting resistor Rg, use a capacitor in series with it. I see no need to add gain and the reduce it.

Roger

Hide this!Advertise here!