Rotel RC 970 BX MK II - Service Manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there!

I got a Rotel RC 970 BX MK II preamp from ebay to mate with my two amps ( Rotel RB 960 BX). Sadly it keeps silent, not even the power LED lights up, when I connect it to power and turn it on (yes the fuses are ok, and at least there is power on the primary side of the transformer, didn`t went any further yet).
I am now looking for a Service Manual with schematics for the preamp to fix it. Does anyone have one at hand to scan and send it to me?
Does anyone have experience in support by Rotel if you are in the need of spare parts? Or will I have to get some comparable parts from the electronics supplier of my choice?

Yes I did check the forum before posting, but couldn`t find a thread with a proper answer (i.e. a service manual link or person, who said who has one).
No offense, but I don`t want to discuss the quality of the preamp, i am well informed about that (just mentioning as i saw some former threads like this one turning into such discussions). Its also a sportive challenge for me to get it to run again ;), so I would really appreciate any help!

If I am already at work, what would be some improvement changes, I could do? Thinking off changing the volume control to some alps. Also read about people who disconnected the headphone preamp and the tone control ...

THANKS A LOT FOR ANY HELP! Really looking forward to repsonses, as I am new here on the forum!

Regards,
Stefan

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi Steven

First Ill post a link to the service manual , here you go http://bwgroup-support.com/rotelservicemanuals.html , the RC 970 bx is on there, the MK2 is exactly the same but for maybe a change in caps or opamps used.

Strange that there is a problem with it, Rotels are very reliable especially the preamps. Parts for it can be purchased at most electronic component distributors, youll save quite a bit instead of purchasing the parts from Rotel. The BX uses 5532 opamps which are standard, even the smallest electronic suppliers will have them and this is also where you could upgrade from. The BX970 mk2 maybe has AD827 opamps ??? , this is the standard Rotel preamp upgrade and the route I would go if your model doesnt have these Opamps.

First you should worry about finding the problem, then about finding the parts.

Rotel already uses a highish quality alps volume on most models and Im pretty sure this model will have one so its not much of a upgrade except if you willing to part with large sums of money for the top of the range alps parts. The opamps are your best bet for upgrade here.

Hi homemodder!

Thank you so much for the link to the manuals! I really googled a lot, but looks like they are well hidden from google bots :) !

As I didn't wanted to start looking for the failure in deep before I got the service manual, you triggered the repair and the fix was done soon ;). It was just the primary side of the transformer. One strand of the transformer was broken, hard to see, easy to measure, not so easy to fix, needs surgeon hands.

Following your suggestion, the problem is fixed, now maybe an upgrade ... I will definitely look into the opamp option. What do you think about canceling the tone control and headphone amp?

Thank you very much, really appreciate your help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.