Help needed for tone control circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this circuit for a tone control with AGC. The problem is the tone doesn't sound good and has little range before distorting. I would like to have a single knob tone in place of the bass/treble control. Any suggestions is much appreciated. So far, everything I've experimented with doesn't work with this op amp configuration.

Enhanced Tone.jpg

Last edited:
My main problem is that I really don't want a Bass/Treble control. I would like a decent sounding one knob tone control.

One knob or two, it seems to me your "tone control with AGC" circuit is suitable for a short wave radio receiver and little else. AGC by definition introduces distortions and is a bad idea. Also, it does not help using a circuit with a unipolar power supply (+12V and Gnd). Better to use +/-12V and get rid of DC blocking capacitors in the signal path.

This forum has many ideas for excellent but simple pre-amps, including the Baxandall that Mooly mentions. I use Baxandall's op amp feedback config with the LME49720 op amp and I am very happy. To be honest, now that I have got the bugs out of the overall frequency response, both tone knobs are pretty much unused.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.