Tube Nube! Where to start,, - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2011, 08:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube Nube! Where to start,,

Can anyone give good starting pointers on what tubes are worth looking into for a phone-pre/line switcher unit? I am now an owner of a Conrad Johnson PV-7, and have no experience with what brand of tubes are worth starting with. I have searched on this forum for such, either my search wording is not cutting it, or this subject has not come up yet (HA) in the Analog Line Level section of this forum. I did not think it would be appropriate to post this subject in the "Amplifiers>Tubes / Valves" forum as this is not discussing a tube amp.

Trying to come up with a good starting point to roll tubes. Any reading material is also desirable!

Thanks gang!
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Wow, nobody has anything to say about this?

Is there a problem with the thread?
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hi Bill - I typed in "Conrad Johnson PV 7" into "advanced search" and quite a few things came up but they were pretty old threads.

BTW - David P. sez that you're gonna try to make the Nashville Audio Society meet at his place and I'm looking forward to getting to meet you.
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hay Tom, I was typing in "tube shootout" and "tube comparisons" and such. Per my limited understanding there are some preferred tube manufactures over others. Such as bugle boy over xyz. I have no experience with what tube manufactures are the ones to shoot for and the ones to stay away from. I guess I am not conveying the question correctly, or none wants to bother with it.

Yep-r, gonna make the meet. Look forward to meeting all involved and specially putting a face to you and Dave. See you there unless my world come crashing down that weekend!
Old 24th May 2011, 01:03 AM   #5
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

try this old thread. Conrad Johnson PV-7 noise

Also some tube sites - such as bottlehead - might have more info.
Set Search Parameters
Old 24th May 2011, 03:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Thomas!
Old 24th May 2011, 04:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

For 12AX7's; Joe's Tube Lore

For 12AT7's, I don't think you can go wrong with NOS Mullard CV4024. JJ's are supposed to be good for new production.

What's in the preamp now, EH's?

jeff
Old 24th May 2011, 10:19 AM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

There never seems to be much discussion of 'tube rolling' on this site. All it can do is check to what extent a particular instance of a particular tube design in a particular circuit at a particular bias setting (etc.) matches the preferences and expectations of a particular listener. This is why on those sites where rolling is more popular, people rarely agree on the outcome. They want to say X is better than Y, but in another circuit with a different set of ears Y may sound better than X. Perhaps an exception is noise, where some tube designs/manufacturers may be better than others.

A good circuit should not be too fussy about tube details anyway.
Old 24th May 2011, 11:37 AM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
For 12AX7's; Joe's Tube Lore
Is that site serious or a parody?
Old 24th May 2011, 01:44 PM   #10
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I make no representation as to how any of these tubes might sound in your system,
Quote:
the risk of course is that one of those might ideally match your rig, 'cause with tubes you never know what's going to lock-in in any given system.
Quote:
There is a system out there somewhere that's the ideal match for any tube. This is just a comment on a general tendency.
At least he tries to make it clear that he is just offering personal preferences. I bet there are people who quote him as a guru, though! (Especially those with a few valves to sell!!)

Hide this!Advertise here!