Gain stage for SS phono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, A real newbie question. I am a bit tired of my phono stage being quieter then my cd player when I switch from one to the other. My phono stage is a Cambridge audio 640p. I was wondering if a simple valve gain stage (decware Zstage and power kit), with taper pot added onto the output of the phono stage would allow me to adjust/match the volume to the cd player?

Hi, By quieter you mean the phono plays softer than the cd player but it would be unsual as the phono amp should be able to amplify to more than standard line level but then again the design may be conservative so giving a low output (but I doubt so).Anyway you can add a tube stage to boost the signal and probably give a better sound than solid state alone.

Yes the phono plays softer than the cd player. The output of the phono is 0.5mv. May amp is attenuated for 2v. My cd player's output is 2v, (Rotel RCD965BXLE fully re-capped with cerafine, KZ, FG, FW). Would love to be able to afford and EAR or Icon phono stage, but I can't. Do you have any recommendation for a tube stage that I could build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.