add a volume control to a dac with dc offset

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an amb gamma2 dac that uses a single rail for the output buffer so its mid point is 2.5v instead of 0v. So it needs cap coupled. I want to add a volume control to the unit since it is my only source. However im having trouble finding a way to add a pot to the unit without adding yet another set of decoupling caps.

My goal is to have a cap coupled output, and only use 1 set of caps in the signal path.

this is what one idea i came up with.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I connected the pot to analog mid rail so there is no dc going into the pot.

And now your DAC's output goes directly to it's analog voltage reference pin. A no-go.
Simple pot connected to ground should do the trick, but then you get "hrrr" noises when you spin the pot.
Otherwise, put the pot after the DAC's buffer and decoupling cap, and then you'll have a problem with linearity of volume control - which will be affected by devices you connect to the DAC (their input resistance).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.