sound of discrete opamps - Page 38 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2014, 03:00 PM   #371
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmil View Post
Hi all

Has anybody here listened to various DIY discrete opamps?

I have made a clone JE990 and it is very good but wondered if there is anything A LOT better out there - soundwise?

I looked at the various Sam Groner opamps as well as the line-up modified 918 as well as the plenty on the net.

I suppose I am asking what shouldn't I bother with as a DIY experiment

Rob
OK, you have to compare apples to apples. First, the JE990 and their ilk have output current capability of some 250mA. As far as I know, there isn't a normal chip opamp that can do that on it's own. You have to add something like a BUF634 buffer inside the feedback loop to achieve that kind of output drive.

So, if you compared, say, an LME49710 + BUF634 (@ +/-15vdc supply) to a JE990 (@ +/-25vdc supply), I think it would be unlikely that you could hear the difference (unless you want to drive something to 35 volts!). They would also probably measure about the same, given the same gain, etc. The difference is that the chips are probably more consistent than the discrete, and far cheaper too.

Still, I have been fooling around with a hybrid discrete opamp, where the front end is discrete and the diamond buffer is provided by a BUF634 (or equivalent). I don't see the sense in having two diamond buffers, one in the LME49710 and one in the BUF634.

Last edited by dirkwright; 13th February 2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 6th September 2016, 01:23 PM   #372
diyAudio Member

are these any good ? anyone tried them ?

1 Peice Dual Double Differential Discrete OpAmp Module Replace OPA2604 LME49720 | eBay

Discrete OpAmp Direct Replace Dual OpAmp OPA2604 TL072 NE5532 OPA2132 AD8620 | eBay
Old 6th September 2016, 04:40 PM   #373
diyAudio Member

Default Discrete Audio Opamps

Hello all,

For that are interested I have been been building and experimenting with DOAs (Discrete Op Amps) for some time. I have built several projects using them. I have both the Sam Groner V2 BJTs and MOX JFETs (found on this forum) on hand. The MOX DOAs are built using NOS Toshiba LSK389 parts. Both are exceptional designs. Let me know if you are looking for them.
Old 6th September 2016, 04:44 PM   #374
ammel68 is offline ammel68  United States
diyAudio Member

I've never tried a discrete op-amp before.

Are the 2 you mentioned expensive?
Old 6th September 2016, 05:21 PM   #375
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammel68 View Post
I've never tried a discrete op-amp before.

Are the 2 you mentioned expensive?
Considering the work and parts put into them I don't think they are. I price the DOAs that I offer at $48 each (single quantities) which is typical. At that price no one is getting rich.

The ones that I offer are assembled and tested. DOAs can be pesky buggers to build if you have not done it before and lack a good test bench. The ones I make conform to the old 2520 pinout standard (shown below) Click the image to open in full size.
There are other DOAs on the market that have the same pinout.

The most notable being the John Hardy 990 The John Hardy Company 990 Discrete Op-Amp as well as Discrete Op-amps and Classic Audio Products, Inc.
Old 6th September 2016, 05:47 PM   #376
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I had asked about these recently in the parts area, had a positive response from at least one person.
Old 6th September 2016, 06:16 PM   #377
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
I had asked about these recently in the parts area, had a positive response from at least one person.
I built the headphone amplifier that Sam Groner includes in his paper describing his DOA. I use it as a test fixture driving my favorite headphones (Sennheiser 650s) or reference loudspeakers in my dev lab. Using a consistent fixture to test DOAs allows you train your ear to hear subtle differences in the DOAs and there are differences. I built the fixture to accept DIP packaged op amps as well as '2520 packaged' DOAs. That allows you to audition DIP packaged op amps in the same circuit. I could put up a picture later today should anyone be interested.
Old 6th September 2016, 07:34 PM   #378
ammel68 is offline ammel68  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
The ones I make conform to the old 2520 pinout standard (shown below) Click the image to open in full size.
There are other DOAs on the market that have the same pinout.
I can't use the odd pin out since all of my boards are set up to use DIP-8 ICs.
Old 6th September 2016, 07:42 PM   #379
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammel68 View Post
I can't use the odd pin out since all of my boards are set up to use DIP-8 ICs.
Sorry Ammel68,

The larger 2520 pin out is 'old school' finding its roots in vintage recording consoles and custom gear from the 70's. The format is big enough to allow the use of thru hole parts.

There are a few DIP-8 DOAs around. I've tried the Burson Audio DIP-8 DOAs. They are interesting enough.
Old 7th September 2016, 03:59 AM   #380
diyAudio Member

Collective Cases offers an adapter that will allow a DOA in the 2520 footprint to fit into a DIP8 socket.

Hide this!Advertise here!