Solid State Pre Amp with Tube Amp - Pointless?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

To preface, I'm new to the audio/analog world...

I'm using a NAD P2i preamp with a Rega turntable and I'm building the S-5 Tube amp to complete my analog system.

My question is this: Was it pointless to use a solid state pre with a tube amp as my goal was to build up a true analog system as the tube amp is amplifying the output from a solid state pre, or am I just thinking too much?

Thoughts everyone???

Thanks in advance!

I'm listening this month to a tube ST70 amp with a heavily modified Herald op amp disco mixer as the turntable preamp. I have a PAS2 tube preamp, but the sound is about the same as the modified disco mixer and the PAS2 volume control is stuck. I can leave the ST70 running right through the many lightning stikes we have in the spring, and not worry about it. It has taken a couple of strikes and lost only the power switch or the turnoff pop capacitor. Besides the transistor amps both have problems and one, the Peavey, has 10x as many parts as the ST70. The transistor ST120 has 2X the parts and the add on bias mod boards keep me from poking around in there to find the cold solder joint without making a new mount bracket. Tubes-simple, pure, stupid but lasting design. Nice that tube prices are down from 1980 levels, and I'm not having to support the defense of the border with Comitern, either, like I did in 1982. In 1983 the only 6CA7 tubes were used, or Russian at $25 each unmatched, and the only internet was the CRT in the Ft Riley division headquarters building.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.