XLR to RCA I/O with Aleph Pre, Acurs Amp, X-OVR and Nak Dragon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All

I have owned a used Pass Aleph P and Aleph 2 mono block system for about three years. I have decided to utilize a 3way crossover (RANE) to power my speakers. I have also come by a mint Nak Dragon.
I also plan on adding a Benchmark DAC to my Rega Jupiter CD.

My issue is I want to take advantage of the Balanced input and outputs offered on the Aleph P. I have read all manner of remarks about pin 1, 2 and 3 for balanced operation. I want to use balanced interconnect between the crossover and (1) Acrus A-250 for low section of my speakers. (2) Crossover and Sub woofer. And finally between the Aleph P and the Nak tape deck.

I have toyed with using XLR to RCA adapters at the input for each of these devices. And at the input of the Aleph P from the tape deck.

Is this a good solution? Should I have XLR to RCA (Male & Female) made?
Or can I use adapters? Also, what are the proper pin outs for either adapters or XLR to RCA cables for use with Aleph P?

I know this is a mouth full, but I really need the advice before I acutally buy any equipment, and in so doing waste money.

Thank You all. :confused:

That's too many variables for anyone to walk through. The Aleph P is a differential circuit and the Rane is an actively balanced circuit. My best advice would be go to the Rane website and start reading. Sometimes you can use adaptors but most of the time you can't.

There is only one proper way to wire an XLR.

Pin 1 is ground/neutral
Pin 2 is +input/output
Pin 3 is -input/output

I would (and do) avoid XLR to RCA adapters.

Run balanced, or run single ended. Balanced lines have the advantage of rejecting noise; if you single end them at each end, you loose all benefit of running XLR connectors at all- the single ended cable between the converters could pick up noise and there would be no way to reject it- it would become part of the signal.

Go to the local Guitar Center (or whatever you have near you) and get a pile of Mogami Neglex quad balanced cables. These are great, and quite cheap. Neutrik XLRs on both ends.

The one thing to be aware of is the 'pin 1 problem', which I assume you are aware of. The easy fix is to ensure only one piece of gear in the chain is grounded to the third pin of the AC cord. Some XLR devices ground pin 1 to the chassis and some don't. Hence the problem (ground loops).

Thank you very much Jim. What I've decided to do is use ART DTI (Dual Transformer/Isolater) passive audio interface. It uses a pair transformers separate input and output signal grounds. This should isolating two systems and reduce hum and ground-loop noise. They were $48.00 each (I ordered two) one for Balanced from crossover to SUB, the other from crossover to A-250 Amp.

I will use single ended connections between the Nak and Aleph P. And regular XLR between Aleph P -> crossover -> Aleph2 mono blocks.

The ART devices has XLR Male, Female and RCA I/O's

Thank you all for your advice. I will post again once I've put everything together.
Hopefully a happy ending.

The easy fix is to ensure only one piece of gear in the chain is grounded to the third pin of the AC cord.

You mean the dangerous fix. NEVER use ground lifts to disconnect the power cord ground, the life you end may be your own.

Most gear with XLR connectors do connect pin 1 to the chassis, but if not its an easy fix.

Two things to watch out for with xlrs: There is no standard for which pin is hot, for some gear its pin 2 some is pin 3, check the manual. Professional XLR interfaces run at +4 dbu, consumer gear at -10dbu (on some pro gear the xlrs connectors have a +4/-10db switch next to them). Again, check the manual. These levels need to match. You can also get transformer isolators that shift this level (+4 to -10 or -10 to +4) if you need it.

They are more expensive but I do think in this case you get what you pay for.

Yes, good audio transformers are not cheap and you WILL hear the difference.

hi all!
I bought a ultra curve and it has xlr in and out,I got the ins working from my output transformers,
But not sure what to do about the xlr outs to a rca input,I would like to connect as to take advantage of the balanced signal, Can it connect to the first op amp inside ? pins 2 and 3 through 10K to - and + will this do it or is there a better way?
Thanks Alot,

Still Reading

Thanks guy's for all who responded after my last post. I will look into other transformers. And check the detail information for the RANE X-over and whatever transformer/adapters and amps I employ. I will look into the Jansen transformer because I too feel you get what you pay for. So prior to opening the ART units, i'll do my home work. You guy's are live savers.
Thank you all.

Found the Answer

All, I have come across an answer to my question about connecting balanced and unbalanced signals. Very much in the vien of what I've been advised to attempt by members of this web site.

Also, would like to tell you all of a wonderful source of information. His name is Ethan Winer. This is a link to some of his views. Very interesting read.

Kill Studio Hum and Buzz at the Source :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.