Adding bands to an equalizer circuit? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2011, 02:23 AM   #1
c12mech is offline c12mech  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Adding bands to an equalizer circuit?

If I were to build a 10 band EQ similar to this one:

Graphic Equalizer Circuit for 10 Frequency Bands

how would I make it a 20 band circuit? Is it just a matter of adding more of the same IC sections and components or is there more to it? I've looked around and don't seem to find a lot of info on building anything more than the 10 band EQ shown. I'm sure it is probably overkill but it is just something I want to try.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 23rd March 2011, 03:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes, you will parallel more filters. The "more to it" part is having to calculate the passive component values for the extra filters.
Old 23rd March 2011, 03:39 AM   #3
c12mech is offline c12mech  United States
diyAudio Member

Would you happen to know where I could find the formulas for the needed calculations? This is the part I am stuck on.
Old 23rd March 2011, 06:50 AM   #4
C04pl is offline C04pl  France
diyAudio Member

Hi
It may be not so easy to add more filters. You may know what width of band all of these filters are. If its 6db/oct then changing some another close freq filter may also make changes with another - just they will so close each other. To make true graphic multiband eq will be better idea to find 12 or 18 or even 24 db/oct eq. You need band stop/notch filters to be not close enough to make changes in neighbor frequencies. For example there pot sliders: 32, 45, 60 Hz... then 45 can make changes in both 32 and 60 Hz. This will be really unwanted thing.
Cheers
Old 23rd March 2011, 08:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c12mech View Post
Would you happen to know where I could find the formulas for the needed calculations? This is the part I am stuck on.
Those opamps are known as Gyrators. This calculator should help. Worked great when I re-tuned the bottom 2 stages of a 5 band graphic EQ in a Technics receiver. 80 and 320 Hz was ridiculous. 25 and 180 Hz suits me better.

Guitar Pedals: Gyrator Filter Calculator

G
Old 23rd March 2011, 02:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Go to Spectrum Analyzer and Equalizer Designs for more info. E

Hide this!Advertise here!