Hafler DH-101 Pre-Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, what can I replace C12 with thats available, its a 15pf 1000v Ceramic.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113336685910601049348/Desktop#

The power supplies in this unit are +/- 18 Volts. Any 15pF cap you'll find should be fine. Personally, the Mica suggestion from Bob Ellis would be very good, a C0G would also be good. Polystyrene are excellent but some flux removers attack the styrene.

What happened to the original cap?

Nice work on the unit though I wouldn't use an OSHA cord on it - especially if any other unit has a 3 wire power cord as it's the surest way to ground loop issues. It looks like you are not using the 3rd wire as I don't seem to see any solder on the terminal in the photo. Is that right?

A worthy mod to it improves the phono preamp and adds a needed high level input is to remove the phono 1/2 low level input switching and make phono 2 a high level input - in my case for the CD player. I did that back in '83 when I got the first CD player.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, I thought the idea was to get rid of ceramics in the signal path, will Silver Micas sound better.
I was stuck on voltage rating, didn’t know I could use 500v Silver Micas, which you can get quite easily.
The earth on IEC socket is not being used, just a floating ground like it was from original. Like the idea about Phono switch.

Thanks for your replies, I thought the idea was to get rid of ceramics in the signal path, will Silver Micas sound better.
I was stuck on voltage rating, didn’t know I could use 500v Silver Micas, which you can get quite easily.
The earth on IEC socket is not being used, just a floating ground like it was from original. Like the idea about Phono switch.

+1 - I replace the ceramic caps with those LOW pF requirements with mica.. Probably your only upgrade path. I've been looking for a 68pF 500V for my pre-amp (HK -17) replacement and found mica to really be the only easily available part here in the states.

Oh and Hi to all, I think my first post here (analog line level section).

Cheers,

Bob

+1 - I replace the ceramic caps with those LOW pF requirements with mica.. Probably your only upgrade path. I've been looking for a 68pF 500V for my pre-amp (HK -17) replacement and found mica to really be the only easily available part here in the states.

Oh and Hi to all, I think my first post here (analog line level section).

Cheers,

Bob
Hi, I get most of my parts from this company here in NZ.

Active Components ::

According to my schematic, C12 looks like it couples the preamp output to the inverting input of a differential pair, providing high frequency rolloff. I wouldn't guess that it would affect the sound quality greatly, and that any cap with good high frequency response and a reasonable tolerance would be fine.

Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.