Need a 1 meg input pre stage-?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to posting here ('cept for selling stuff) but am ready to take the plunge!
been lurking for ages.

I have scoped out the OPA 2134 for my first stage. total gain (over several stages) must be ? 80? There seems to be quite a range of problems when working at 1 meg input. (I got, allegedly, 2.0 mV @ 1 megohm to amplify)

The OPA spec sheet says to correlate your input imp with the resistance in your feedback loop, but that might mean 1.5 meg//250K (to ground) which seems a bit out of whack.
Also it would appear difficult to get much gain in this stage, also. that i could live with, but 9 or 10 sure would be nice.

Do i need a Jfet or complementary Jfet input buffer here?
I have no design skills to speak of --just cookbook competence.

Advice, please. I'll happily use a 6DJ8 if I have to. Would i know what Im doing? No.

I am also correct that the inverting input is out of the question?

You can use SE JFET buffer (see attachment). Input impedance is 1M and you can load this buffer with 5k or more. P1 (multiturn pot) sets DC offset.
Mouser sells BF862 JFETs.

Attachments

• bf862buffer.gif
    bf862buffer.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Long delayed thanks to Juma! I see that Q8 is set up as a current source??
Done some more reading in Horowitz et al. I had previously no real notion of Jfets.

Am I to assume that distortion is not an issue? Normally i think of any amplifier stage as being enclosed in a feedback loop--

My text sez "you can build discrete Jfet stages, but normally one looks at Op-amps that use Jfets in the input stage." Hello TL072?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.