Signal-Powered Compressor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, while surfing the mighty interwebs, I found this interesting circuit. The given description is good, and the circuit looks good to me, but I was hoping for some feedback/advice from some more experienced techies. (FYI, If I assemble it I'll have some little amp circuit (probably a common emitter) before it and a JFET buffer behind it, with the intent of using it for guitar/bass.)

Dynamic Compressor, Self Powered Circuit Design

If you're going to have a power supply anyway, why try for a circuit that is specially designed to run without one? It's going to distort (those diode junctions are anything but linear) but it might sound quite interesting in an instrument circuit; I certainly wouldn't be trying it as an AGC or anything even vaguely hi-fi.

And it's certainly cheap enough and easy enough to build to be worth a try.

A couple of back-to-back diodes and a few resistors would be simpler.

I had something similar to this accidentally on the output of my computer. A powered down Technics receiver on a 'Y' cord with another amp. The protection diodes in the JFET switch chip were conducting so everything was fine up to a diode drop both positive and negative. Looked pretty on a scope. Sounded dreadful. Problem solved with a Niles Audio 6 out DA between the 3 destinations and the PC.

If you're going to have a power supply anyway, why try for a circuit that is specially designed to run without one? It's going to distort (those diode junctions are anything but linear) but it might sound quite interesting in an instrument circuit; I certainly wouldn't be trying it as an AGC or anything even vaguely hi-fi.

And it's certainly cheap enough and easy enough to build to be worth a try.

I could make an active, super-clean circuit, yes, but I was hoping for a distinct sound- I actually want the distortion! (Plus I already have a super-clean active circuit, and as they say, variety is the spice of life) My goal for this little project was to get nice compression with unique characteristics, something that other musicians might like. The low cost is just a little bonus :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.