Volume Equilizer - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2011, 04:53 PM   #31
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bean View Post
For many of my own designs, I've used indvidual input attenuators right after each input jack. That way you can adjust the average loudness level to be more uniform from every source, and you can also correct any channel imbalance the some devices have at thier outputs.
But keep in mind, there is no set standard with regard to loudness levels in recorded material, so volume adjustments are almost inevitable.

Just my $.02 worth.
Exactly
Old 6th March 2011, 05:21 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

so the idea of having an automatic volume adjustment isn't really feasible it seems?

thank you everyone who has offered idea's and suggestions. This has really been an enlightening weekend. I will have to look over some of your projects and see if I can figure out any alternate way to accomplish my goal.
Old 6th March 2011, 05:25 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

o before I forget:

if you have a signal going into a device, then switch to another device (that is significantly louder than the previous) is there a way to automatically attenuate the second signal so that your not blasted out of the water by the volume difference, or blow out speakers?

would that be an easier goal than my other idea?
Old 6th March 2011, 06:15 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkhnoisgtht View Post
o before I forget:

if you have a signal going into a device, then switch to another device (that is significantly louder than the previous) is there a way to automatically attenuate the second signal so that your not blasted out of the water by the volume difference, or blow out speakers?

When I switch from cable box, I lower the volume before playing a DVD, then turn it back up. Same with playing something from my laptop, or even when switching from DVD to CD in the same changer carousel.

:)ensen.
Old 6th March 2011, 06:15 PM   #35
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
o before I forget:

This is what we are trying to say

If this "device" is an amplifier then all you do is arrange for each input e.g. CD, DVD, TAPE, TUNER ETC ETC to have it's own resistor (just one for each channel and each input) that gives equal volume from each source.
Old 6th March 2011, 11:28 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

i understand now. Thanks for the help.
Old 7th March 2011, 04:05 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
o before I forget:

If you implement Mooly's idea of presetting the audio levels to a nominal value you really shouldn't have problems unless you have some really bizarre recordings. I have some early Deutsche Grammophon CDs that had a ridiculous amount of headroom meaning they were unusually low levels compared to the average but they were the exception.

You could build a microcontroller switching system that muted the audio and then ramped it back up after the switch selection but you'd still have do deal with the change though you'd have a few seconds to do it. The rest of us just know to back off the volume before switching sources. A lot cheaper that way.

G≤

Hide this!Advertise here!