Dynaco PAS Preamp - Complete Rebuild - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2011, 05:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dynaco PAS Preamp - Complete Rebuild

Finally finished up my PAS rebuild, it's been months coming. I chose to use reproductions of the original PAS 3 boards from eBay and rather than recreate the selenium rectifier with standard capacitors, I used the ClassicValve PAS Regulated Power Supply. I/O board and RCAs were sourced from Tubes4HiFi, Transformer from TriodeElectronics, Elma switch from PercyAudio, Alps pots from Mouser, resistors and caps from Sonicraft, etc. etc.

Click the image to open in full size.

Be sure to check out all the build notes here: DIY Audio Electronics from Zynsonix.com: Complete Restoration of a Dynaco PAS Pre Amp
Old 28th February 2011, 08:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audio_tony
Congratulations - that looks like a nice job.

It's good to see kit like this lovingly restored, especially valve kit.

I repaired CRT TV's for 15 years, and developed a healthy respect for the high voltages, but even so I'm still intimidated by valves!

Does it sound as good as you had hoped?
Old 28th February 2011, 08:54 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Not much left from the original!
Old 28th February 2011, 09:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks It sounds surprisingly nice for such a simple circuit. It's probably not the last word in detail, but if that were my objective I would have likely started elsewhere

I've sure you've been on the receiving end of a zap from a CRT tube Tony. I've had the experience once and it's not something I would like to reproduce . I take good precaution when testing things these days. This little bugger has a little over 300V that it can zap you with.

The only bits left of the original are the chassis, a few of the screws... and that's about it. I did find a generous guy on AudioAsylum who sold me a pair of blend switches for a few bucks. One was a little worse for wear, but I was able to make use of the other one. I was able to find new owners for the old boards, strange plexi RCA boards and front panel.

Last edited by HiGHFLYiN9s; 28th February 2011 at 09:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!