High end preamp kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Define "high end". Expensive, looks nice, looks flashy, looks silly, doesn't corrupt signal, corrupts signal just the way I like it, uses boutique components, uses rare NOS components, well-designed using standard components, intended to impress my friends, intended to impress my eyes, intended to impress my ears, intended for listening to music etc. etc. etc.

Define "high end". Expensive, looks nice, looks flashy, looks silly, doesn't corrupt signal, corrupts signal just the way I like it, uses boutique components, uses rare NOS components, well-designed using standard components, intended to impress my friends, intended to impress my eyes, intended to impress my ears, intended for listening to music etc. etc. etc.

Ok... intended for listening to music. clean sound, maybe corrupts the bass end a bit by enhancing :)

hi junjuvava
greetings very good preamp i use it did u manage to see circuit since silicon chip
is pay site just click on image twice and u can see everything if you want preamplifier
with bass treble electronic australia has very good preamplifier with bass treble volume
headphones out all on one pcb very good preamplifier for stereo use or if u dont like i post bass treble for u
thanking you
andrew lebon

Tone controls is a very inaccurate and primitive way of frequency response adjustment.

Actually real Hi End stuff means very even reproduction in 20Hz-20KHz (or better say in case of Hi End upper 50KHz-100KHz) band that is one of the reasons owner pays extra money for. Tone compensation will spoil the whole concept that money was spend on.

If adjustment for room acoustic is necessary it usually done via equalizer like Ashly that is a separate specialized device anyway not a feature build into preamp.

Some old days tone controls were considered like a must option but preamps above entry level usually do have a button pressing which will let audio signal bypass tone controls completely.

If you are using a source that outputs 1V RMS and don't need gain, take a look at a Pass B-1. Boards are available here: Pass DIY: Order Form

Also look in the Pass forum for UGS and Pumpkin, although hard to find jfets are featured...

There are a few options here: Pavel Macura audiopage both opamp based and discrete designs. I haven't built them, but they seem to be well received.

If your sources are digital, consider a good DAC with digital volume control capability like the Buffalo-II The Buffalo II Digital-to-Analog Converter

Lots of choices, depending on how complex you want to go and how much you are willing to spend. Either my speakers don't resolve it or my ears can't, but I don't hear any degradation with several OPA2134s in the circuit. If you build an opamp based preamp, you can use a socket and try different opamps.

Despite not being able to hear OPA2134s, I did notice a difference with upgrading my power supplies from 7815/7915. I'm currently using the Jens Rasmussen supply from the group buy I did a few years ago, but shunt supplies are pretty popular these days. Check out the Simplistic Salas thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.