Output tranny for 6080 tube - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2011, 02:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Output tranny for 6080 tube

First-time poster here. I grew up on hi-fi/home stereo building, but I've been more involved with the recording side of things for the last 15 years (i.e. Gearslutz).

I'm exploring line output driver tube options, and right now I'm experimenting with a 6080 tube. I am looking for S.E. line output transformers that can handle at least 1 watt (+30 dBm), and have a 1K:600, or 1K:150 ohms ratio for a balanced line output. The primary needs to be able to handle at least 60 mA idle current, as it will be the DC-coupled series plate load. Freq response -1 dB 20-20K or better.

An alternative would be a 2K:600 or 2K:150 ohm transformer with a center-tapped primary designed for push-pull plate loading.

Higher power ratings are OK but any bigger than, say, 5 watts will become unweilding and wasteful.

Does anyone know of such an animal, or who might make one for reasonable cost (under $150). Vintage trannies with speaker and line taps are acceptable, in fact desirable for headphone drivers.

I came across quite a few posts about 6AS7/6080 tubes in the hi-fi forums, and I see them used as transformerless line drivers, plus Ampex occasionaly used them in this manner. I imagine they are often used as cathode-followers in this application. In my application I want to use a transformer-coupled plate load for the coloration so desirable in multitrack recording applications.

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!