Help upgrading opamps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok.. it may be an illusion with the volume difference..it takes too long to switch from one tube to the next. There is a major difference in the tubes sound though. The stock tube is boomy and the Tung Sol is somewhat flat response sounding. Considering my voice is tenor and thin sounding the stock tube may suite me better. I will have to experiment.

Let me explain a bit better what my goal is. I am not completely oblivious to circuits and electronics, just not experienced. I love the mixer I have and it is awesome quality for the price ($1200). I am currently working on a home album, and want to get the best quality for the lowest price possible. I just don't have thousands of dollars to spend on top gear, or studio time. But.. with an external preamp, a good mic, and a good ad/da I am set. The problem with the Projectmix is it has no direct bypass for its Mic or TRS inputs, which means any gear that I run through this unit will pass through its internal opamps. If I have a $3000 NEVE, and run it through any channel, I will get coloring of the internal opamps (making the NEVE sound a bit sloppy). I don't mind the coloring if it is tasteful, but I find that the stock ics are a bit noisy and muddy (NOT LIVELY/CLEAN). I assume with better ics, caps, etc, I should be able to get better quality sound in general. Only other option is to go with a preamp with adat/spdif to bypass the internals of the mixer (costs rising into thousands). Suntechnik... I would love this board to have its own "sonic signature", that would make my sound unique. Might look into those ics... Main point is... I want the best mods on the cheap for a cleaner sound. -Thanks for the advice

Neve are famously coloured-sounding consoles, it is that colour people buy them for.
Others how know much, much more about these things have said that one of the reasons Neves are so coloured is because they are full of dirt-cheap TL072s, hundreds of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.