Help with Hum - Hum Help - Aikido

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure if this should be here on in Power Supplies, but here goes...

I am doing my best to fis up a friend's octal Aikido. The power supply needed some tlc, so I built a new one. It runs fine, but with an objectionable amount of 120Hz hum.

Put the scope on the power supply and I see a solid, waveform-perfect 2V sawtooth at the B+ point.

Here's the map - any ideas?

Attachments

• aikido ps.gif
    aikido ps.gif
    9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Well, you could put a regulator after the raw supply (that's what I did for the two Aikidos I built). You can also try nulling the noise- the voltage divider values for the nulling circuit that John suggests aren't exact and the adjustment to get a decent null is pretty sharp. So you can change one of them out for a resistor that's, say, 20% smaller than nominal in series with a trimmer that's, say, 40% of nominal, then have at it.

Somebody read about it somewhere on the Internet, so it has to be true.:D

If I were to guess (and honestly, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out), someone saw anti-kickback diodes used somewhere and decided that this would be a dandy way to protect his circuit from the evils of kickback.

OK, my stab at it.....

First off, cap before the choke - 47-100uF, then choke (with/without diode, I'd say take it out to try at least), then another cap. You could also try a RC after that again.

The other thing that you haven't mentioned at all is the heaters. If you are using AC heaters without a centre tap, then do wire in a pot (270-500R) with the in and out wired to heater +/- on the PCB and with the wiper tied to 1/4 to 1/3 of the B+. Adjust the pot to get lowest hum. Made a big difference on my octal aikido, which still hums a bit btw.

A lot of this is in the aikido manuals which you can download from broskies site....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.