24 input/24 output mixer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2011, 02:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 24 input/24 output mixer

Here's what I am doing. I have a 24 channel snake that is 24 input and 24/24 output. (in other words it splits with 24 going to the front of house mixer and then 24 going to a monitor mixer) Instead of having this bulky mixer and only one location for the musicians to go to for their monitor mix I have made a system using cat5 to distribute 24 channels of audio to eight different zones. Each zone can mix all 24 channels. Each musician now has the ability to mix their personal mix themselves at their station. I have all of the wiring, main module and individual mixing modules but I do not have a way to power the mics. I don't need phantom power just basic mics are being used like SM57s.

In a nutshell.....what should I do to accomplish making a simple 24 channel i/o mixer? I do not need anything like eq or panning. Thanks.
Old 16th February 2011, 05:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Op-amps needed....

I guess what I can do is just use op-amps but I made a headphone amp a while back and used an LM386 and I got clear audio except the level of audio wasn't loud enough. If I pushed the audio it would begin to distort. So, in conjunction with my first question, what op-amp would I need to use for a mixer?
Old 16th February 2011, 05:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
but I do not have a way to power the mics. I don't need phantom power just basic mics are being used like SM57s.
Then why do you need power to the mics? Of course if your using condensor mics or active DI boxes haviing phantom saves a fortune on batterys
Quote:
Each musician now has the ability to mix their personal mix themselves at their station.
Good luck with that,most musos i deal with would hate it.
Old 16th February 2011, 08:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The mics I am using are neodymium but while the do generate their own voltage having a preamp eliminates the hiss from the preamp on the headphone out. I guess I said that wrong. I don't need to power the mics because I am not using any type of condenser mics, but they do need the boost of a preamp in order to have the volume presence. I can't imagine in-line will work except on wireless mics.

Quote:
Good luck with that,most musos i deal with would hate it.
They have no choice but to do what I say. I am the media director there and a lot of worship teams are going this route. Only most are spending 6k-12k on a digital system that has the same end result I am trying to do.
Old 17th February 2011, 01:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

In making the above with a headphone out option is an op-amp all that is needed to give a powerful enough signal to the headphones?

Will something like this work?
LME49710 - High Performance, High Fidelity Audio Operational Amplifier
Old 17th February 2011, 02:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Got a lot of info from this thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headp...rix-mixer.html
Old 17th February 2011, 10:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

On what op amps mixers use see this thread: Op amps help! 3x3 12v matrix mixer

Hide this!Advertise here!