line level unbalanced to balanced converter - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2011, 07:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hey! First off I'm new to the forum. I've been getting into DIY stuff a lot lately and it just seemed that almost every time I looked something up at least a few of my top results were from this forum. Anyways, I need help. I've started constructing my own guitar amps for fun. I've started mostly with converting older organs, radios etc. for the sake of inexpensiveness and simplicity for I am still learning. The problem I've run into this problem multiple times now is this: My instrument signal is too weak for the majority of the units I'm working with. The few projects I have successfully completed or converted either already had a 1/4 inch input or I completely replaced most of the power-amp and preamp sections with older guitar practice amps. I need something that's passive, simple, cheap and compact. I will be using this design repeatedly so those 4 are a must. Would any of these aforementioned schematics do the trick or if not does anybody know of a schematic that would convert my instrument line to a line level signal? Thank you in advance for any help you may have =)
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

steevo,

have you seen this :

The Unbalancer

PCB is available

cheers,
Dick
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:33 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I suppose I didn't describe exactly how "newb" I am. Which part of this link am I supposed to be looking at? If it's any of those larger contraptions it certainly won't do.
Old 14th February 2014, 07:29 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

sorry to bring up the old thread but does the transformer method create an opposite phase signal? how so?
Old 14th February 2014, 10:27 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSapian View Post
sorry to bring up the old thread but does the transformer method create an opposite phase signal? how so?
You could look at it that way. It all depends on how you define the " + " and " - " (or "Hi" and "Lo"; etc) on the transformer windings. It's not uncommon to see a DPDT switch on the balanced side of the transformer, wired to allow for reversing the sense of the signal.

Dale
Old 15th February 2014, 03:14 PM   #16
LAJ is offline LAJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default When I worked in TV...

and stereo TV first came out (around 1984 or so in the USA) we occasionally got a program with out-of-phase channels. This might not be noticeable if the viewer was listening in stereo but a mono listener would get nothing.
We built an XLR phase reverser that we would patch in to one channel of the playback machine to bring everything back in phase.
This was a temporary fix till we added the dpdt switch into one of the outputs.
Old 16th February 2014, 02:38 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

what id like to know is how the transformer converts a positive wave signal into a negative.
Old 16th February 2014, 03:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The signals at opposite ends of the secondary winding are opposite in phase. Originally you have a signal referenced to ground. By removing the ground reference you now have out of phase signals, positive and negative.

Hide this!Advertise here!