ACTIVE loudness control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Eddie, thanks for the response. I agree this Bose "cheap PC speaker" just compensating poor speaker. This "loudness" works regardless the position of volume control, but depending on the input signal level. This is interesting.

My motivation is to make loudness (Fretcher Manson curve) level varies in accordance with input signal level. Have you seen this products?

I have not seen loudness controls that vary in accordance with the input signal level. I suppose you could configure it with a VCA.

I'm working on several variations of the loudness circuit. So far mixed results. I have one that's working as intended but I don't know if I like it yet. I'm thinking of trying one with a summing amplifier. After all this I might just go back to a conventional switched passive network with a few different settings; one that uses the potentiometer with the "loudness tap", which I know I can make work right. The circuits are getting too complicated and it has to be worth it for me to move forward with these concepts.

If you have health analog line inputs and quality boxes of about 10˝ basses, enough fast and linear power amplifiers, there is no place for any loudness. This is far away from realistic playing. If you insist on this garbage, you can find it in old scheme Dual amplifiers with discreet elements (example is KA30). This old amplifier has degresive type of loudness, when you are on 2/3 with potentiometer, there are no more influence on high and low tones. But this is polyurethane music.

From 1970 I had one of this KA30 and I had open say, these times was room, full of unnatural low tones some kind a magic. If you have unplugged this magic trick, named cont. linear (loudness) and adapted your ears on normal, straight line tone, than you never more used it. In the car's, which are very acoustic bad place, is this useful up to today. Maybe you find this in car audio schemes. But anyway, I will look in old Radio Rim and Philips audio cook books, there were some this kind schemes of tone controls, and will inform you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.