Velleman K8084 pre-amp kit question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok - so my parts are on order - hopefully I'll get this device functional the 2nd time around --

for testing the device out of an enclosure, does anyone have any recommendations on how to deal with the ground loop humm?

The kit's pcb has a ground connection point that is intended to connect to chassis - what could I use to temporarily ground the device?

Thanks!
Ted

projet update

ok - I've got the device working - it performs very nicely as is -
I had thought of increasing the size of filter caps, but the DC output is very smooth - so I think I'll leave it as it --

testing the unit, I have figured out how to ground the board and prevent ground loop hum --

So now it's time to build and enclosure - I stopped by a friend's shop and he had a nice enclosure in his salvage pile - it's just the right size, but it's made out of stainless -- so making holes is going to be a bit of a challenge...

question on determining hot side, chassis contact

stuck in enclosure building phase...

hoping to find 100mA 3AG fuses locally...

plan for power cable:

3 prong 110V power cable to interconnect = 2 leads from transformer.... ground lead to shared chassis ground lug....

fuse and switch wired on hot side of transformer (not exactly clear on how to determine this)

3 secondaries: AC+ 0 AC- connections on pcb -- ground pcb to shared chassis ground --

the one connection I'm a little nervous about is the transformer primaries to the interconnect - its fairly close to the chassis -- can the wires make contact with the chassis if they are well insulated/heat shrink wrapped?

problems with ground hmm

so I found a stainless steel enclosure -

mounted the transformer directly to the bottom of the chassis
used a 3 prong interconnect - ran ground prong to chassis ground
used a grounded toggle power switch - ran ground prong to chassis ground

pcb has a mount for ground connection -- ran that to chassis ground

I'm getting a ground loop hum -

I'm not sure if my transformer it too close to the pcb or if all of the ground connections are interacting with one another --

Will try removing the ground connections from the interconnect and the power switch....

When I remove the pcb from the enclosure and set it further away from the power transformer I don't get hummmmmm......

hmmmm......:rolleyes:

project update

ok - good news -
my ground loop issue was due to a bad ground connection -
I redid the ground connection shared by the pcb and the 3 prong IC and everyone is getting along now -

I've been using the device and it is operating normally --

I'm contemplating increasing the size of the caps in the filter - but I don't think this would improve sound quality...

Hoping to button up the enclosure tonight - just some minor cosmetic issues to finalize --

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello some pictures of mine

works a treat also added volume remote control .. very pleased with the sound, no hum etc very silent

Attachments

• PB130001.jpg
    PB130001.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 137
  • PB130002.jpg
    PB130002.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 135
  • PB130003.jpg
    PB130003.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 135
  • PB130004.jpg
    PB130004.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 129
  • PB130005.jpg
    PB130005.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 131
  • PB130006.jpg
    PB130006.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for the pictures! definitely worth 1K words! Now I have some great ideas for my next project - I wasn't sure how to move the pots and rca inputs off the board -- now it all makes sense --

I see the correct way to rise the pcb off the chassis as well with the metal risers -

Thanks!
T

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks for the pictures! definitely worth 1K words! Now I have some great ideas for my next project - I wasn't sure how to move the pots and rca inputs off the board -- now it all makes sense --

I see the correct way to rise the pcb off the chassis as well with the metal risers -

Thanks!
T

Hello

This was my 1st build with the tone control preamp .. I used a extra external power supply (+/- 15v) and fed the preamp PSU as this regulates down to 9v on the PCB.

Next time I would use screened cable, although in the current layout there is no issues .. also make sure you earth the pots

regards

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.